PDA

View Full Version : Bleach Calc

michladny
06-04-2006, 05:27 PM
I have looked high and low for this Bleach Calc but it does not want to be found and any link I have clicked on says the page is no longer available.

Anyone have the working link to the Bleach Calc?????

Michelle

FORGET IT, I FOUND IT :) I see you have to convert liters to gallons (1 liter = 0.264172051 US gallons)???? is this right?

mwsmith2
06-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Nope, all you gotta do is set the default settings to gallons. :D

Michael

ThePoolFool
06-04-2006, 06:57 PM
I can't find a good link either. Someone please respond to a link to Bleach Calc that works! thanks.

Sherra
06-04-2006, 07:26 PM
What they're saying is the link in your signature no longer works since you changed it to the "tiny url" link.

Here's the original link...it works...I just tried it.
http://www.hal-pc.org/~mwsmith2/BleachCalc262.exe

michladny
06-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Sherra..... the link still says "cannot be found"

Michael, thanks much but when I download the program where would it give me the option to change this?

Sorry to sound so "DUH" (I am not...., really:o )

Thanx-

Michelle

Sherra
06-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Upper lefthand corner it'll say "more calcs". Then go to "settings" and change "unit of measure" to "imperial". That changes all measurements to "U.S." standard measurements instead of metric.

mwsmith2
06-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Hrm. This should be an easy changeover, but for some reason, it's being a butt! Here's the link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mwsmith70/data/BleachCalc262.exe (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Emwsmith70/data/BleachCalc262.exe)

That should work just fine. I tried the tiny, and no, it didn't work for me either. I'm mystified as to why it's broke. I'm going to update my sig once again, hopefully it'll take this time.

OnEdit: found a funky wierd thing with vbulletin. It should work fine in the sig now.

Michael

CUTURHAIR
06-04-2006, 11:00 PM
That works! Thanks so much Michael!!

John

michladny
06-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Michael,

Thank you so very much..... it works. It's awesome:)

Michelle

CarlD
06-05-2006, 06:27 AM
I have looked high and low for this Bleach Calc but it does not want to be found and any link I have clicked on says the page is no longer available.

Anyone have the working link to the Bleach Calc?????

Michelle

FORGET IT, I FOUND IT :) I see you have to convert liters to gallons (1 liter = 0.264172051 US gallons)???? is this right?

With the standard bleach calculation forumula, if BOTH your pool volume and your bleach are measured in liters, you don't need to do any conversion. As long as the units are the same for both items, the forumula works. If one of the two is in liters and the other in gallons you need to convert one or the other.

I'm not sure if that's true in Michael's program, if he allows you to set one to gallons and the other to liters and then does the conversion for you. He certainly allows you to pick which units you are using. But he's the expert on it--not me.

mwsmith2
06-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Yep, in the default settings, you can set you default pool size, bleach strength and unit of measure. It will switch the whole program from US (Imperial) to metric, or vice versa. Mainly implemented for our friends across the pond.

I'm thinking now that I should have the program check to see if the registry key is set upon start up, and if not, to force the inital setting of the defaults.

*** adds that to his list of things to do ***

Michael

c130jake
06-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Any Mac or Palm versions of Bleach calc?

Jake

mwsmith2
06-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Any Mac or Palm versions of Bleach calc?

Jake

No. Not because I wouldn't, but I don't have the hardware or the development environment.

Michael

TOPDOG
06-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Since there is not a Mac Version of the bleach calculator - what is the recommended amount of bleach per 1000 gallons of water? I am just settting up today with nothing in water as of yet.

Thanks

Watermom
06-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Depends on your cya (stabilizer) level. What is the volume of your pool?

mwsmith2
06-14-2006, 08:30 AM
Topdog: just a quickie note, you'll get a lot more help if you post a separate topic about your problem. Most folks won't see it in here, as this thread isn't really about pool setup. :D

Michael

aquarium
06-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Hey Michael,

Is there any way to add a feature that would calculate the amount of CYA being added via the trichlor pucks? I just refilled my pool, I know how much CYA I've added, and I know how many pucks I've used so far. If I knew how much CYA each puck is adding, I could then use the dilution calculator to determine how much water change I need to do to dilute the CYA. This by-passes the need for the clunky turbidity test for CYA.

Could you get to that, by, um, Friday? :p

Tom

TOPDOG
06-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks watermom! - Pool is small Intex softsided pool With only 3693 gallons of water capacity. I was hoping to find a calculator for bleach but was striking out with a MAC. I can post any further questions to pool setup.

TOPDOG
06-14-2006, 10:11 AM
By the way ....Sorry I forgot to add to my post no CYA s of yet. We have very hard well water....900-940ppm and a ton of Iron...water will turm rust for about 3 weeks untill the filter gets it cleared out. I need to rinse the filter a number of times to get the rust out of the water and then planned to add CYA with a sock - I figured I couldn't add it before we got it relativly filtered due to the need to rinse the filters. So for a while we will go through lots of bleach. Thanks again for the help!

mwsmith2
06-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Hey Michael,

Is there any way to add a feature that would calculate the amount of CYA being added via the trichlor pucks?

Well, there's a lot of confounding factors that will throw your accuracy off with calculating how much CYA you've got in the pool. That's why testing is the best way of determinining how much you've got in there. Over time, due to drag out, splash out and pump out, your calculated number will diverge from the actual. It may be good for a short while, but eventually it will get off. Actual testing is really the best way to go about this.

Michael

Rangeball
06-14-2006, 11:01 AM
If I knew how much CYA each puck is adding

That seems to be the million dollar question.

I've looked and looked and looked, to no avail... :(

aquarium
06-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Okay, thanks. I know it would be a rough estimate, but it would be good to know if after so much time I would want to drain down some water to dilute.

I emailed DuPont and asked them for the information on their product, we'll see.

TW