PDA

View Full Version : New to pools. Help with Filter operations.

summer78
04-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Ugh.. where do I begin? We bought a home a year ago with a pool that previous owner had already opened. We just had to "maintain" it. We ended up spending a fortune and were purchasing chemicals from the pool store constantly. We'd hoped we would have a better feel for our pool this year but we were WRONG! We are clueless. Our pool is a swampy mess and we don't even know how to operate the equipment. I am slowly learning pool terms but have never owned a pool so I'm starting from scratch.This pool has been a major point of stress for me and my family and the term "I got the blues" aint got nothing on my green problem. I'd love to sing the blues right now.
I have a complete Taylor test kit. I noticed mosquitoes turning my pool into their mating ground last night so I tested my water and immediately afterwards I threw all the granulated bleach I had in the pool which probably equalled about 6-7 cups along with some algeacide. I then proceeded to turn my pumps/filter on to let them run and the guages and sounds didn't sound right so I turned them off and decided to try again today. My pool is a 25,000 gallon gunite pool. I have a Hayward 450 550 filter. Model: C4520LB. Also, my cartridges are older but have been cleaned and maintained well but defintely need replacing but there is no way I can afford them right now. I'd like to get the filters up and running properly then worry about my chemicals. However, I am certain that I want to use the BBB method not only for cost but for the simplicity it seems to offer. I tried to include the info you guys might need to help get me started in the right direction but remember I'm new at this and don't know what I'm doing so if you need more info (I'm sure you will) just ask. Thanks in advance. I wanted to post pics but can't.

CarlD
04-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Hi Summer.
Which Taylor kit do you have? If you don't have the K2006 or K2006C you probably don't have the key test: The FAS-DPD test (DPD is a different test).

You'll need to spend some time educating yourself on the B-B-B method. Start by reading EVERYTHING you can on Ben's forum: www.poolsolutions.com to learn B-B-B.

summer78
04-26-2014, 11:43 AM
CarlD,
Thanks for your reply. I am at a track meet today with one of the kiddos so I'm not certain which kit I have but that doesn't sound familiar and I've done all the tests my kit allows 3 times so far. I'll double check when I get home. I have been reading that forum alot and have learned alot but it's still somewhat of a foreign language to me. I'll keep reading. I am on the verge of giving up and am nearly to the point of regretting buying a home with a pool. I hope I can catch on quickly... wish me luck.

summer78
04-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Hey Carl. Just checked on my kit and it's the K2006.

PoolDoc
04-26-2014, 08:12 PM
Hi Summer;

Do these things:

1. Take a complete set of pool tests with the K2006, and post results here . . . ASAP.

2. If at all possible, order at least (2) new cartridges . . . but don't use them just yet.
Unicel C-7489 Replacement Filter Cartridge (Hayward C4520) (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0039ZDCAS/scouscho-20/)
Verify your filter below BEFORE ordering.

3. Begin dosing EACH night with 3 gallons of plain 8% household bleach -- continue this till you can post test results.

4. Remove your filter cartridges, and let the pump circulate the bleach. Leave the cartridges out, till the water is no longer green.

5. Send pictures to poolforum@gmail.com and include the thread # (23044). Or post them directly using links from Picasa, Flickr, or Photobucket.

6. Remove all leaves and debris, if any, ASAP

Hayward C4520 SwimClear cartridge filter:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XddXBvEiZoo/U1xJmRgpaKI/AAAAAAAAG6U/uCGKmkiLFOI/s800/C4520%2520Swimclear.jpg

PoolDoc
04-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Oops.

Link fixed.

Location of Unicel replacement cartridge guide: http://www.unicelfilters.com/pdf/replacement_guide.pdf

Caution: buy ONLY Hayward OEM, genuine Unicel, or genuine Filbur replacement cartridges. No Pleatco or other Asian-made replacements. There may be some high quality Asian cartridges, but we haven't seen them yet.