PDA

View Full Version : First Test Results for ThePoolFool

ThePoolFool
06-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Just starting the PoolSolutions regimen and have the PS234 kit.
Opened pool this weekend and:
Water is cloudy (can barely see the bottom step in the shallow end, but not the bottom anywhere in the pool)
3.5 ft - 6 ft
Added 3 lbs CYA today (in nylon stocking)
12,800 gals fiberglass
FC = 2
CC = 3
TC = 5
ph = 7.2
Alk = 110
Cal = 250
Cya = 35
no temp (but cold!)

What next?

VOLDADDY
06-04-2006, 05:10 PM
You need to shock the pool. Your CC is higher than your FC. I will let others comment on how high you should raise FC to. Hopefully you are using the BBB method here. I believe by shocking it and killing the CC your water will clear up as well. Let the filter run continuosly too.

mwsmith2
06-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Shocking to 15 ppm is a good start. Everything else looks fine. Well, except the temperature. ;)

Michael

ThePoolFool
06-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Water is still cloudy and I can't see the bottom anywhere in the pool. I have to admit it is a pretty light-blue color though!

On Sunday night (after sundown), I put it in 2.84 gallons of 6% Bleach (Clorox). On Monday night, I put in 4.26 gallons of the same bleach. These are my current readings as of 4:00 PM today:
3.5 ft - 6 ft
12,800 gals fiberglass
FC = 1
CC = 2
TC = 3
ph = 7.2
Alk = 110
Cal = 250
Cya = 35
no temp (but cold!)

Should I be seeing some positive results by now? Do I keep hitting it with the bleach at night only? I'm unable to test results in the morning because I leave for work very early. By the time I get home each day, there is very little chlorine in the pool (according to the results) and the water is still cloudy.
Please let me know how to continue. I want this open for the weekend if possible. Thanks.

duraleigh
06-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah, bring the Cl right back up to 15ppm every single chance you get. Of course, to do that, you must test first so you add the right amount.

It looks like your still working with waaaay too much CC. Make sure you are getting your Cl to shock levels.

If that CC reading is accurate (double check your testing method) you could easily go to 18ppm because the Cl consumption starts immediately. In fact, I would guess that if you dose only to 15, you never get there.

That said, I am fairly aggressive with Cl while others are more conservative. My experience has indicated that a high level of "goo" in the water (which you apparently have) requires a higher dosage than breakpoint to ever get to breakpoint (shock)

(Hmmm, I wonder if that has anything to do with my liner coloring disappearing last week ) I'm Kidding! I'm kidding! :D

ThePoolFool
06-06-2006, 05:55 PM
So the 4.26 gallons of 6% Clorox last night was not enough? You said "make sure you are getting your CL to shock levels". How do I do make sure? I'm new with using Clorox as shock, so I guess I need more help understanding this.
Thanks.

duraleigh
06-06-2006, 06:00 PM
No. It was plenty.

Are you calculating how much bleach to add using the bleachcalc? If not, how?

Are you familiar with the "best guess" table on this forum?

Reply and I'll respond right back.

ThePoolFool
06-06-2006, 06:14 PM
I have a chart that I made from the Bleach Calculator that says to get 10 ppm I need to add 268.8 ounces of 6% Bleach.
I figured I needed to get to 15 ppm, which would add another 50% of bleach, or 403.2 ounces. 268.8 times 1.5 Correct?
Since I added 4.26 gallons last night, that's 546 ounces!

duraleigh
06-06-2006, 06:17 PM
I am going to PM you so we don't bore everyone with the details. If you don't get the PM in the next few minutes, post back and we'll burn up some 0's and 1's on the forum:)

mwsmith2
06-06-2006, 09:58 PM
4.26 gallons would take you to 20 ppm. For 10 ppm you need 2 Gallon(s), 0 quart(s), 2 cup(s) and 1 ounce(s). Seems to me like you have an old version of the bleach calc.

Michael