PDA

View Full Version : Water/Chemicals (Newbie)

nicker
03-30-2006, 07:22 PM
We just purchased our first pool, its an AG. We presently own a hot tub and have for the last 2 years. I have pretty much got my head around the chemicals and maintenance of the tub. My question is with a pool its not as easy to correct mistakes. IE you can easily drain and refill.

How do you manage TDS levels in pools. I think the other stuff will be somewhat easy to control or figure out. But does the TDS ever reach its peak? I have never heard of anyone draining a pool unless they are replacing the liner etc.

Thanks

duraleigh
03-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Hopefully, you're thinking way,way ahead.:) TDS does continue to accumulate in a pool but with partial refills, rain, winterizing, splashout, etc. it normally is a very long-term, if ever, issue. (unless you have an indoor pool)

In the event you ever had a TDS of over maybe 400 or so, you may want to do a partial drain and refill. I have never seen a post on this forum where they actually needed to do that. Others here may have a better memory than me, however.

Dave S.

CarlD
03-30-2006, 09:35 PM
TDS? Waste of time--don't worry about it. If your calcium hardness hits 500 (400 in a concrete/plaster pool), then worry. People with SWGs have lots and lots of salt dissolved into THEIR water--that's what makes the SWG able to work.

Pay attention to FC, CC, TC, pH, TA, Ca and CYA and you'll be fine.

waterbear
03-31-2006, 01:44 PM
pool store keeps testing my TDS above 4000ppm! I have a salt system with salt levels of 3200-3400 ppm and if my understanding from my college chemistry (It was my major for 3.5 years) is correct part of what they are reading is the salt in my pool. This is a new pool (in operation since last November) and I have noticed my TDS readings at the pool store have changed along with my salt readings by an almost similar amount. I would not worry about TDS unless your pool has been in operation for many years and you are having water balancing problems.

If I am wrong here someone PLEASE correct me becuase it means I have a MAJOR problem with my pool or fill water! :D

CarlD
04-01-2006, 12:28 AM
You only have a major problem if you believe the pool store guy!

Don't worry! The salt IS part of TDS--that's why TDS is BS.

waterbear
04-01-2006, 12:49 AM
You only have a major problem if you believe the pool store guy!

If I believed the pool store guy would I be spending so much time in this forum?;)

CarlD
04-01-2006, 07:12 PM
If I believed the pool store guy would I be spending so much time in this forum?;)

:) :D ;) :rolleyes: