PDA

View Full Version : Neglected Vinyl AGP with Dead Dried Algae

sjeffers01
04-07-2014, 02:03 PM
I purchased the pool in February*. It was emptied, folded up, and delivered on the same day. It smelled awful but it was still raining so we left it outside. I haven’t finished the ground preparation yet and decided to get started on cleaning the pool. We unfolded it and sprayed it with a high pressure nozzle and got rid of the sand and debris. I washed the support flaps pool with vinegar and water and a little bleach for stubborn stains. I just flipped it over and it was almost completely dry and covered with dead algae. The colors of algae found are, green/brownish, pink, and black. I started cleaning it with a solution of borax and bleach and used a stiff nylon brush to scrub off the algae. It takes a lot of scrubbing to remove the algae and it will take me several days to remove it at this rate. Would it be easier to set it up temporarily and put water in up to the watermark (1’) to get rid of the algae? The temporary location isn’t level but I have a Gorilla pad that I can set it on. Could I treat the water with chemicals that remove algae instead of scrubbing it off by hand? I had a smaller ABG and only got algae once. It wasn’t dry like this bigger pool but I was able to clean it using liquid pool chlorine and Algae prevention chemical. Please advise. Thank you.

*I paid $250 plus $25 for delivery. It came with all the hoses, and Pentair Clean and Clear filter, a Pentair Whisperflo ¾ hp energy saver pump a Pentair Chlorinator 320, pump timer and a pool brush/sweeper, and heavy retractable pool ladder. The equipment alone is worth a lot more than $250.

PoolDoc
04-07-2014, 02:49 PM
1. What sort of pool do you have? A Whisperflo is usually an in-ground pump, but it sounds like you have some sort of above-ground pool.

2. If it's an AG pool, it would probably be easier to clean after it was erected and partially filled. It would also be better for the pool -- leaving a pool liner laying folded in the sun isn't a good idea.

sjeffers01
04-07-2014, 07:30 PM
1. What sort of pool do you have? A Whisperflo is usually an in-ground pump, but it sounds like you have some sort of above-ground pool.

2. If it's an AG pool, it would probably be easier to clean after it was erected and partially filled. It would also be better for the pool -- leaving a pool liner laying folded in the sun isn't a good idea.

Thank you for a prompt response. I am so glad that I found this forum and became a subscriber. I need all the help I can get. It is an above ground pool 20’ long x 12’ wide and 48” deep. There is no manufacturer name or anything to indicate size, model, etc. It has the “No Diving” signs but I haven’t found anything else. I didn’t know that it isn’t good to let a vinyl pool dry out. I will set it up in a temporary location this evening. I have another pump and filter I can use for the cleanup.
You are correct about the pump and filters are used for in-qround pools. The seller sent me some photos of the pool and that shows them hooked up. I did the pool volume calculator and it only holds 7200 gallons. According to the chart for the cartridge filter the residential flow GPM is 90. The turnover capacity gallons for 8 hours is 43,200, 10 hours is 54,000, and 12 hours is 64,800. That is a lot for the size pool. Why would someone install a pump and filter that size pool? Will it cost a lot more to run than the normal recommended size? Should I keep them or sell them and replace with something else? I already purchased new cartridge filters, replacement rings for Pentair Rainbow Chlorine/Bromine Feeder #320, 3” trichlor tablets. and cleaned the filter and pump.

CarlD
04-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Please only use this thread. Watermom has noted that the other one you started is identical and we like people not to do that.

PoolDoc
04-08-2014, 12:57 AM
Please forward the pictures you have to poolforum@gmail.com

sjeffers01
04-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Duplicate thread. I had just ordered a subscription and received the confirmation e-mail when I submitted the first one. I went to check to see if it posted and couldn't find it. I did a search and I went through the different forum subjects. I even logged out and logged back in and never found it. Sorry.

Watermom
04-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Not a big deal. Don't worry about it. We're just glad to have you join us! ;)