PDA

View Full Version : New Pump and Plumbing question

jefflj98735
03-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Hi, I've got a 13K gal IG pool with a 2HP/3/4HP-2 speed pump, with a pressure-side cleaner/booster pump. I run the pump on high for 2hrs/day along with the cleaner and on low for 4-6 more hours depending on season. The pump recently wore out and needs replacement. I've been told California now requires or VS or VF pumps for all replacements, but a local store says they will install either variable or 2 speed for "repair" jobs
3 Questions:
1) Do you have a Pump recommendation: 2 speed, or VS or VF pump.
2) For Variable, recommendation VS, VF, and make/model and controller?
3) Is plumbing a pool pump something a very handy do-it-yourselfer should attempt?

PoolDoc
03-24-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm not in California, but it's my understanding that the requirement is for energy efficient pumps, but not necessarily VS pumps.

I'm going to ask Mark to look at this.

. . . membership upgraded.

mas985
03-24-2014, 09:15 PM
I had heard the same thing but I can't find anything that confirms the regulation change. As far as I know Title 20 regs still apply. But in reality, it doesn't matter. It isn't policed so you can do pretty much what you want to as long as you can get an installer to do it or install it yourself.

Anyway, what is best for you is a different matter. A couple of questions to get you to the right choice:

1) Where are you located and have you checked for rebates on VS pumps. PG&E offers $100 for a VS and with some of the VS pumps, it can push the price to be competitive with a 2 speed. Some CA power companies are offering better rebates so it is worth checking into.

2) Why do you have such a large pump now? Do you have any water features or a spa?

3) Do you currently have a controller or timer? Some of the VS pumps require at least a timer while others have a built in timer.

4) What happened to your old pump? If the motor just went out you could just replace the motor with a new two speed motor.

Here are the latest regs: http://www.energy.ca.gov/2012publications/CEC-400-2012-019/CEC-400-2012-019-CMF.pdf

See page 144

PoolDoc
03-24-2014, 10:15 PM
Thanks, Mark.

Sounds like regulation-fear-mongering may be in use as a marketing tactic -- I've seen it before, enough times. Plumbers used to be great at it.

jefflj98735
03-26-2014, 04:27 PM
OK, more info: 1)The pool has attached spa, with waterfall, hence the size.
2) The pump is actually 1.5/0.25 hp SF 1.3.
3) I installed this pump as a replacement of a single speed pump 5-6 years ago for energy efficiency reasons.
4) The pump and booster are controlled by an Intermatic PE100 series Digital Pool Timer
5) I took pump and motor to local pool store (Nathan's in Sacramento, Ca...very reliable and trustable) and he said pump needs rebuild and motor bearings are gone, total cost would be almost as much as a new unit.
6) We generally set it so the pump pulls from the skimmer and returns to both pool and spa, to get circulation and waterfall. I'm investigating VS pump because they qualify for energy efficiency financing in Placer county, along with some other work I'm having done.

mas985
03-26-2014, 06:23 PM
With the spa, you will probably want the full size VS pump rather than some of the smaller/cheaper versions. So the Intelliflo VS 011018 is a good choice and can usually be found for under $900 if you are will to do the installation yourself. However, you will get a longer warranty with a professional installation. But with a VS, it is really important to get surge/lightning protection to protect the pump electronics so that will add cost to the pump. You have to run the numbers to see if it is worth it or not compared to a two speed. But IMHO, it seems silly to put a VS pump on a pool that has a cleaner booster because that will negate a lot of the cost savings of a VS pump. If you go with a VS, you might consider a cleaner that doesn't require a booster such as ThePoolCleaner.

But if you are handy at all, it is fairly easy to swap out a pump motor at a fraction of the cost of a VS pump with surge protection. No plumbing changes required either. So I would cost out both and then make the choice.

jefflj98735
03-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the answers. I'm assuming your answer also means that plumbing a new pump is NOT a handyman project?

PoolDoc
03-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the answers. I'm assuming your answer also means that plumbing a new pump is NOT a handyman project?

We see it done successfully, with some frequency. But not all handymen have the skills needed. Not only do you need to be able to make up good PVC joints (both threaded and glued), you need to know your way around a 220V circuit, a multimeter, and have a handle on the difference between grounding and bonding.

mas985
03-26-2014, 07:01 PM
Plumbing isn't always difficult but it can be very time consuming so given the choice, I would avoid it if possible.