PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Ultra Flow- Just replaced...

unknowndread
03-23-2014, 04:04 PM
I picked one of these up used trying to save some money. Immediately noticed there was a small dribble below pump. After researching I decided to order a kit that had the seals and new o rings. After replacement of seals and O rings, I now have a substantial dribble, much worse than before. I am pretty new to all of this...learned a lot the passed couple weeks but this is starting to become quite irritating. Any ideas on something I may have missed or procedure done improperly?

This isnt the exact one, just showing to illustrate where leak is coming from:

http://i.imgur.com/dvhZpD8.jpg

PoolDoc
03-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Could be either the pump seal, or the pump body O-ring.

=> It's very easy to damage a pump seal when installing it. Also, running it dry, even for just a minute or two, can damage it.

=> Large body O-rings like that are usually a beast to get back into place. Pinch the O-ring and it leaks. Get a bit of grit on the O-ring and it leaks.

If you look carefully, you may be able to tell whether it's leaking at the seal, or at the body O-ring.

Good luck!

unknowndread
03-24-2014, 10:52 AM
The pump body o ring is the largeeat one , that essentially sits just behind that large stainless compression band , correct ?

PoolDoc
03-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Yep, that's it.

unknowndread
03-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Let me ask you this: Does the silicone lube aid in sealing or does it just prevent the rubber from sticking to surfaces? I was pretty conservative with its use when I applied it...