PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to using chlorine

rdefino
03-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Is there any alternatives to using chlorine. I would rather keep from using it if possible in my Above ground. I''ll be running a DE filter is that matters.

Any advice or pointers?

PoolDoc
03-17-2014, 06:23 AM
I don't think you asked the question you really wanted to ask: there ARE many alternatives to chlorine, as a pool sanitizer. The first problem is, there are no *good* alternatives.

And the second problem is that -- for outdoor residential pools (indoor is different) -- the 'problems' with chlorine are a result of mis-using it. We try to correct that here, on the forum.

Read the test kit page, and the "Best Guess" page, linked in my signature block below. If you want to get into the underlying chemistry of chlorine . . . and all the bogus claims made about the 'danger' of chlorine, check out the posts in the "China Shop" section of the forum. Just be warned that some of the stuff there is pretty heavy duty.

Good luck!

rdefino
04-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just remember as a kid and swimming for a long time, my eyes would burn. But then again, Dad might have been putting to much chlorine in. :)

I'll check the links.

PoolDoc
04-29-2014, 06:17 PM
1. If you do chlorine wrong, mainly by failing to maintain adequate & consistent levels, your eyes will burn.

2. Fresh water irritates eyes; this is why eye saline is salty, though not as salty as sea water. Some people who do not have SWCG (salt water chlorine generators) still add salt to their pool to avoid this.

JimK
04-29-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. I just remember as a kid and swimming for a long time, my eyes would burn. But then again, Dad might have been putting to much chlorine in. :)

I'll check the links.

Same here. I find in many public pools the water irritates my eyes. However, in my own pool using the BBB method, keeping chlorine at appropriate levels in relation to CYA level per the Best Guess Chart here, I've never had an issue with irritation of any kind (skin or eyes).

Perhaps it also helps I have a salt pool?