PDA

View Full Version : intex ultra frame 12x24x52 sand filter swcg system

rmills
03-16-2014, 03:30 PM
awaiting arrival of pool. just read about the use of glass instead of sand in the sand filter. does anyone have prior experience with this or knowledge of the glass use?

CarlD
03-16-2014, 04:56 PM
There's Zeolite, but it is VERY expensive compared to sand. Sand is cheap and should last indefinitely. Sand doesn't get "old" (it's millions of years old already). It CAN be gummed up, but that's very rare if you use chlorine (SWCG qualifies) as your sanitizer.

PoolDoc
03-17-2014, 08:43 AM
Who's selling glass filter media? What are they calling it? (I'd like to know, just for general info.)

But . . . there's no reason I can think of why glass (quartz sand + soda ash) would outperform sand (quartz) media. And, I'm sure it's more expensive.

Generally the PRIMARY benefit of pool products like these, is to the dealer's bottom line.

rmills
03-19-2014, 09:53 AM
TY Carl for your reply

==============================

Ben, TY for your reply. I found glass media while googling. Apparently many pool supply stores sell it. Suppose to filter water cleaner and last longer. But since this is an intex pool that I am planning on lasting only 5 years, I will stick with sand.