PDA

View Full Version : Salt test with new kit - problems

haeffnkr
06-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Hello,
I added 320 pounds of salt to my 13,500 fiberglass pool last night and today I tried to test it with my new kit with salt testing.

It tested 8000 ppm - twice - I used 40 little tiny - hard to control drops to get the sample to turn and stay reddish-orange. I had the sample tube sqeaky clean each time.

I PMed Ben about new tips - - not sure if this is my problem or not?

The manual for my 3 year old Autoclear SWG (manf by Clear-Tech - PureandClear in FL ) said I needed 3000 ppm the SWG to operate correctly. To achieve this it stated to add 350 pounds of salt for 14,000 gallons from a starting ppm of Zero. I assume my starting point was a 0 since my pool was drained dry last fall and filled with tap water.

Can someone please let me know if 320 pounds of salt into a 13,500 gallon pool should be closer to 3000ppm or 8000 ppm?
Has anyone recieved new tips? Is this is the problem?

thanks again for all the help.
Kevin

Beautye350
06-03-2006, 06:58 PM
According to the bleachcalc program that a member of the forum created, 320 pounds of salt in 13,500 gallons of water will raise the ppm 2843.6. I recommend searching the forum for the program, it is VERY useful.

Regards,

Mark

haeffnkr
06-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Mark,
Thanks for the reply - I have the calculator but did not even notice the salt calc included with the bleach calc....ooooppss. I just installed it the other day and it is very cool and from what little I have used it has been right on with the calculations and the results, sorry I missed the salt calc on it.

So the now question is what do I need to get my salt test kit to read somewhere around 3000 ppm instead of 8000ppm.

Any ideas?

thanks again
Kevin

Beautye350
06-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Kevin,

Take a look at this post by Ben.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showpost.php?p=9187&postcount=10

It explains the procedure Ben wants us to use to get more consistent results.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

vanduse1
06-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Did Ben ever send out that email? I have had my new kit for a couple of weeks now and still have not seen any email from him regarding the new tips. I have tried the test 3 times now with unsuccessful results. Does anyone have an update on when we will get the new tips?

Beautye350
06-04-2006, 03:50 PM
No, I've received no responses to my emails, PMs, or posts here. Just waiting to see what happens. I saw a post on the board where someone posted Ben's response to an email. While encouraging, I am not holding my breath. It'll get here when it gets here. Luckily I have my 233 to hold me over until I get the new one.

Regards,

Mark