PDA

View Full Version : CC reading

Sunny32504
06-03-2006, 03:56 PM
How do you get CC reading. Also what do I need to check to make sure my pool holds chlorine longer? I need education on the pool balance readings and how to keep my pool balanced to which it will be easier to maintain . I have an 24' round AG vinyl liner which is about 13,500 gallons (think)I have an algea bloom at the moment so what I have done was poured 3 gallons of bleach and now I am going to let it filter until tonight about 9:00. I don't like leaving it on all night right now with the skimmer basket getting full as fast as it has and worried my cartridge filter might build up pressure over night . could someone help me get this thing clean .I have a pile in the middle of the pool which is sticks and algea is what it looks like. I have sweeped my sides of the pool and as much around the outside of that pile in the middle. I can't get in there to stir that up with the chlroine up as high as it is right now.

mas985
06-03-2006, 04:32 PM
For CC reading you need a kit the measures it like Ben sells on poolsolutions.com. Also good for other information on keeping a pool balanced.

In order for folks to help you on this forum, you need to post your numbers:

FC (need Ben's kit for this)
TC (any old kit will give you this)
PH
Alkalinity
CYA (probably why you cannot keep chlorine in the pool)

Sunny32504
06-03-2006, 04:53 PM
How do i check CYA I will go check my others now after I clean my cartridge one more time.

mas985
06-03-2006, 05:11 PM
If your test kit cannot do it, your best bet now is to have a pool store check it for you. They will do a full test for you and probably recommend buying all sorts of stuff you don't need. However, you may need CYA and if the test comes up with <20 ppm, you may want to consider buying some while your there.

Also, if you need to clean out sticks and large stuff, a leaf rake works great.

aylad
06-03-2006, 05:24 PM
The faster you can get the pile of stuff out of the bottom of the pool, the faster it's going to clear--you need your chlorine to be working on the algae, not on the sticks that you can manually remove.

POst your numbes, and we can help you from there.

Janet

Sunny32504
06-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Okay here are my readings
PH 7.2
Alk 110
CL 0.6 (Basic 4 Test Kit)
I cleaned my cartridge and put in 1 more gallon of bleach. I guess with the algea and the 94' weather today it sucked out all the bleach I put in at 12:30 today and it is now 4:30. Should I be using more bleach? My kit has chlorine 3.0 , 1.5 , 1.0 , 0.6 and 0.4 I am at 0.6 would the highest mean 3.0 ppm? If so I need to be higher than that to kill this algea if I remember thru past threads. Thankyou for the response . We are so reading to vacumm and swim.

aylad
06-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Yes, it needs to be WAY higher than that. How high depends on your CYA reading, which you didn't give, but even with zero CYA you need to get your Cl to 10-12 ppm and KEEP IT THERE by testing 2-3 times daily and adding enough each time to go back to the 10-12 level.

janet

Sunny32504
06-03-2006, 05:36 PM
I am now going to the pool store but I don't let them people sell me out. I had this pool clear without there chemicals last year and I am determined to do it again. They already tried to sell me some down and out , yellow out or something like that to help drop everything overnight to the floor this morning when I went for a stinkin leaf net. I told them no I will get it out. Then he did recommend me to shock it with 4 pounds of shock because I told them I was battling some algea bloom. I won't buy that stuff for 12.95 for 4 pounds. Thats like gas prices in the summer time to get my pool to run .LOL :D

aylad
06-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Don't buy anything from them unless it's a toy, or maybe a drop-based test kit (which actually would be a GREAT investment!) that measures FC, CC, pH, TA, Ca, and CYA. You don't need all that other stuff they want you to bu--all you're doing is lining their pockets.

Janet

Sunny32504
06-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Here are the readings from Crown Pools .
FREE CL - 3.29
PH 7.2
CYN - 23
HARD - 325
ALK - 110
They told me this was a good balance

aylad
06-03-2006, 07:14 PM
For a clear, algae-free pool, those numbers don't look bad. However, with an algae bloom and a CYA of 20, you need to up your Cl to 12 ppm and keep it there until the bloom clears up.

Did you by any chance get a testing kit while you were there? Clearing up an algae bloom is going to require frequent testing.........

Janet