PDA

View Full Version : Variable speed vs 2 speed pool motor for AZ pool

drmroth
03-05-2014, 01:48 PM
I have a 25'x10' spool (approx 6,000 gallons) and I need a new motor. I live in Arizona and there's a law out here stating that residential pool owners must replace single speed motors with either 2-speed or variable speed motors, but there's an exception for any motor under 1hp which I believe mine is. This exception allows for me to still install a single speed motor for my pump.

Questions:
1. How do I decide what to do? Should I spend the money and get the variable speed motor?
2. Is a 2-speed just as good as a variable speed motor?
3. Or should I just get another single speed motor?

Thank you for your help.

PoolDoc
03-05-2014, 03:14 PM
"spool"?? what's that?

1. VS motors are expensive and have reliability problems. 2-speed pumps are somewhat less efficient, and harder to install correctly, but are MUCH more reliable.

2. See above.

3. Depends on your pump. Post *EXACT* pump *AND* motor models. Numbers/data on electric motor are usually for the motor only; pump models are usually on the wet-end or pump body.

drmroth
03-05-2014, 07:52 PM
"spool" = small pool.

I don't know anything about pools except that I like to swim in them. Please forgive me for having no idea about what any of the following means;
Magnatek
Self Priming Pump
Model - 347881 UR Hiflo
service factor 1.0
serial # 0999-605 ap
HP - 1.0
Volts - 230
Amps - 10

I've called pool people/places and everyone has a different opinion. Mostly they're all opting for a reconditioned single speed motor which I would be fine with but now the question is what size motor do I get. I was told that the motor I have on there now is a 1.5hp motor but I think that's a mistake because my pump clearly says 1.0hp.

1. If I choose a re-conditioned motor, which brand and model should I get?
2. Would it behoove me to forgo the single speed and spend the extra money for a 2-speed?

Thank you

PoolDoc
03-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Is this the pump you have?

http://www.pentairpool.com/images/product_images/wholegood/ChallengerHighFlow/Challenger_Flow_web.jpg

If it is, then these motors will work:

2 speed:
http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-1648/A.-O.-Smith-Two-dsh-Speed/Detail.bok

1 speed:
http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-87/A.-O.-Smith-Square/Detail.bok

I'm not necessarily recommending A1, though I have purchased from them myself -- I'm just using their listings as an example.

Meanwhile, there's some long-time marketing gaming with pool motor HP ratings (uprate vs. full rate), so that a 3/4 HP 2 speed probably is equivalent to your 1HP single speed.

Verify that that's the right pump, and I'll take it to the next step.

drmroth
03-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Hi.

I don't believe the picture below is the motor that I have. I went outside and looked around. I found a sticker on the basket part of the pump that says "ultra flow". When I look at a picture of the pentair ultra flow pump, it looks the most similar to mine.

PoolDoc
03-06-2014, 10:59 PM
This?

http://www.pentairpool.com/images/product_images/replacement_part/UltraFloPump/UltraFlow_schem_webL.gif

That's an old pump. If you're gonna rebuild it, I'd get started. Parts may be a problem . . . and there's a good chance you'll find you need to replace more than the motor and pump seal.

This site seems to list parts -- but I'd call and make sure they are actually in stock:
http://www.poolplaza.com/C-Ultra-Flow-Parts.html

Watermom
03-07-2014, 01:20 PM
spool = small pool ................... I like that! ;)

drmroth
03-07-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm not rebuilding anything… I was thinking of buying a rebuilt motor from a reputable store in my area (perrys pool).

1. What would be a newer version of this motor is I were going to buy a new one instead of rebuilt?

Let me share my past experience with you and a little background on me. Due to a brain injury I am on disability. I don't have the energy to do things myself but I also don't make any money and need to watch the dollar. That being said, I know that my pool maintenance people need to make a living but I can't afford for them to mark up the product 100-200%. Buying a rebuilt motor (like mine) is under $200. Then you have to add on rings and a few other things that are under $50. Then there are labor costs… They're charging me between $500-$600.

2. How can I keep the cost down when I don't have the energy to do it myself? Maybe if I buy the motor and then just pay for labor. How much would labor cost to replace a motor?

PoolDoc
03-08-2014, 09:23 AM
1. I personally would never install a rebuilt motor, for hire. To do so would put me in the position of having warranty responsibility for a motor that is not as good as OEM. I've been burnt on that before, and learned to avoid the situation.

2. Market prices for pool work in your area, are the market prices for your area. I can't change that.

3. The "I buy the parts, you do the labor" approach is a bad idea, unless you *could* do the work yourself. First, you end up assuming warranty responsibility for the motor & seal . . . and will have to pay for additional labor if anything goes wrong. The profit your pool guy makes on the motor covers him against the risk (maybe, 5%?) that the new motor will have a problem, and that he'll have to swap out a replacement for free. If YOU buy the motor and it's bad, you'd have to pay him to remove the motor, pay the shipping to return the motor, wait for a replacement, and then pay him to re-install the motor.

4. Once you rule out doing it yourself, your cheapest option is simply whatever you can hire someone to do it for you. I don't mean to be harsh, but those are the facts. Nothing I can do here will change that.

5. With an old pump, and very limited parts availability, I can't even offer to help you with motor and parts selection: you're going to have to take what you can get, unless you upgrade to a new pump. This is another reason why you want some local and reputable -- who will stand behind the repair -- doing the work. (This may be why they're charging what they are: they may not be sure what it will take to repair that old pump.)

6. You probably ought to consider a new pump: Amazon has the 3/4 HP Super pump for ~$300. That would give you a new, very reliable pump that should fit with the energy guidelines you described. [ http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ESN924/poolbooks/ ] . Given your small pool size, you could also use the 1/2 HP pump from A1 [ http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-894/Hayward-Super-Pump-sp2600x5/Detail.bok ] Apparently, this pump doesn't count as an energy efficient pump . . . but compared to a 1 HP pump, it will use less electricity, and will still circulate enough water for a 6,000 gallon pool, unless you have major filter and/or piping problems.

I'm sorry, but that's all I can do for you. I understand financial limitation; my family has struggled with the burden of major medical debt and some bad decisions on my part, for years. But facts are facts for both of us. And in-ground pools have a certain cost attached to them. PoolSolutions & PoolForum can help make things easier and cheaper for pool owners, but that's relative: "cheaper" does not equal "cheap".

Good luck.

drmroth
03-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Hi PoolDoc.

Just wanted to thank you for all your help. I greatly appreciate it.

PoolDoc
03-11-2014, 06:50 PM
You're welcome.