PDA

View Full Version : Polymer vs galvanized steel swimming pool walls - DIY 24x44 inground pool

Chriscanada
02-25-2014, 08:36 PM
Hi all,

Newbie here. Putting in a pool this year, DIY, with experienced help. 24x44 inground pool in Ontario, Canada. Trying to decide on polymer vs. galvanized steel for the pool walls.

All advice/tips appreciated.

I have been told rusting isn't really an issue with the newer galvanized walls and they are stronger than polymer and easier to install. Plus with the length of the pool, they are allegedly easier to align straight.

Flip side polymer will never rust, etc. but I have been told they are not as rigid or forgiving and they are trickier to align. Also have to take more care on the backfilling process when installing.

Trying to do my research before I commit to one over the other. Thanks!

PoolDoc
03-06-2014, 03:08 PM
You already have a good understanding of the basic differences. Unfortunately, it will be hard to get more information than you already have.

One reason for this is that mfg's change processes and compositions with no notice to you -- Ozone Swimming Pool's "Superduperexpealidocious" swimming pool walls may have been sold for 25 years . . . and have had 15 different formulations and manufacturing processes.

So . . . the particular walls YOU are about to have installed may have only been sold for 2 years, with the result that NOBODY really knows how long they'll last.

That said, I'd pick polymer. Polymer walls are harder to INSTALL, but if installed properly, will likely last longer in areas with damp ground and regular rainfall.