PDA

View Full Version : Chlorinator problem?

ronzoblue
06-03-2006, 10:52 AM
My Hayward chlorinator is over a year old, at the present the pucks seem to be not dissolving at the rate of year ago, actually at times it seems to be not dissolving at all! I've checked the lines, and they are clear, and presently, no blockage at all, also I've set the level on the dial between 2-4. So basically I'm stumped and the pool shows low chlorine readings. Another thought, I'm still using last years pail of pucks.

cwstnsko
06-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I can't comment on the feeder, but I would suggest you have the water tested for CYA (also called conditioner or stabilizer.) If the CYA is above about 80 ppm, I'd suggest you reconsider using Tri-chlor pucks at all. Tri-Chlor adds stabilizer continuously to the pool, and it only goes away by draining and refilling with fresh water.

Poconos
06-03-2006, 12:51 PM
I agree about the pucks. I assume the model is a CL-200? These things have notoriously bad metering and I only use mine when I need to use pucks to add CYA, then I run it full open. In fact just checked mine and the metering doesn't seem to work at all but water flows so I don't care. Try this. With pump off, take off the lid and water should drain out of the chlorinator housing into the returns. Just place the lid on, don't screw it down, and turn on the pump. Putting the lid on as a cover is just a safety measure if the thing squirts and splashes out or shoots a stream straight up. Once the pump is on you can take the lid off, carefully, to observe the water level. Water will come out of the tube that's about 4" or so off the bottom on the side opposite the metering control. Should see the thing filling slowly at a low setting, faster at a high setting. I THINK. As I said, mine always flows. If it fills and drains then it is at least working to some degree.
Best I can do.
Al
BTW: Pucks don't go bad if you keep them dry and in a container that's at least somewhat well sealed.