PDA

View Full Version : replacing a 12 year old DE filter

optimator
01-16-2014, 05:57 PM
I've had the perflex EC75 DE filter for about 12 years (pool details below). I just re-did the plumbing to fix some issues. At restart the filter body split. One option for me is to just buy another so I don't need to worry about plumbing again. My past issues have been:
-the "bump" is pretty worthless. If I don't change the DE it clogs right away.
-opening to really clean the "fingers" is a pain
-the filter is probably undersized for my pool

I am also considering the FNSP 60 and would like to hear opinions on this. It seems more difficult to clean than the routine EC75 cleaning. I had a sand filter for 2 years, but it didn't work well for my pool (too small; pump too strong; poor water clarity). Cartridge filters seem too expensive.

Pool (40 yrs old):
33000 gal plaster with long 1.5" pipe runs from inlets, 2" returns
motors: Whisperflo 1 HP #WFDS-4, AO Smith 1.5HP

Thanks,
-Glenn

CarlD
01-17-2014, 04:34 PM
You could put in a 300# sand filter. No way a 1hp pump would overwhelm it.

optimator
01-17-2014, 05:56 PM
My sand filter was a 300# version (Hayward 3.1 ft^2), coupled with the 2 speed whisperflo motor. At high speed I could see dirt/algae blown back into the pool when vacuuming. At low speed, it was grossly underfiltered (@ 24 hr/day). I added a bit of DE, which helped slightly but not enough. The big problem with my pool is the undersized skimmer and drain lines, but I'm not willing to rip up the deck.

I should also mention that the whisperflo is 1.65 SF HP.

Watermom
01-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Did you have the right amount of sand in your filter? If you are blowing things through the filter, you may not plus you are probably losing sand. That may be one thing to check. Sand will last a LONG time but sometimes needs to be topped off.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

optimator
01-21-2014, 11:31 PM
I used zeosand in that one, even adding a bag w/o improvement. I think my pump was too big and the filter too small for the pool and plumbing.

I ended up ordering a cartridge filter, finding one at a good price. This will eliminate my DE going into my neighbor's yard.

CarlD
01-25-2014, 06:15 PM
I hate to say you're wrong but I have a hard time believing a 300# sand filter was too small for a 1hp pump! I run a 1hp 2speed Superpump with a 200# sand filter and have for 11 seasons now with no problem. I suspect it was plumbed and set up incorrectly for the problems you describe to have happened. A 300# sand filter is definitely overkill for a 1hp pump (and it's OK to do that).

gtrgman0925
01-26-2014, 10:14 AM
That would explain the crack in the filter body. Too much pressure coming into the filter.

PoolDoc
03-19-2014, 07:38 PM
. . . . membership updated.