PDA

View Full Version : Homeade Pool Steps?

Orbit06
03-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi,
I have an in-ground liner pool with no steps - just ladders. My dog swims in the pool a lot, but cannot get out by herself. I can't afford to buy the fancy steps for $350-$600 right now and I don't really need them. I just need one medium-sized step (she's a big dog) so she can get out without my assistance. I bought a new product I thought might work, but it was too flimsy - it was a plastic ramp that you tie to the pool deck. I keep it to save wild animals that fall in the pool, which is good, but not my goal.

I want to make my own step to put in the floor of the pool. I'm wondering what materials are okay for inside a pool, ideas for weight, anything? Any suggestions? Is it a good or bad idea?
Thanks!

haze_1956
03-31-2006, 03:08 PM
A few suggestions to start, other I'm sure will add.

Seems to me the simplest thing to do is to extend the first step of one of the existing ladders into a platform. Enough for the dog to climb onto then out of the pool.

Using plastic materials and stainless steel screws should make it water safe.

What kind of Ladders do you have ? Could you provide a drawing if possible?

matt4x4
03-31-2006, 03:55 PM
a plastic bin with a concrete block inside it, seal the bin up (stainless screws) so the block can't fall out and place it in the pool where you want it, it should sink, if not, add a block.
To take it out, unscrew, take out block (s) bin should float.

prh129
03-31-2006, 04:42 PM
I was thinking about taking Matt's suggestion one step further and suggest using a milk-crate with the bricks tied to the inside.
The only problem with both solutions is how to keep the bin or crate from sliding around. Maybe screw some suction cups to the corners?
You would also have to check the crate out to make sure there isn't exposed metal on it. Some are all plastic but I'll bet there are some that are not.

Orbit06
04-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Hi all,
Thanks so much for the great ideas!
Last summer I tried putting a big plastic tub in the pool with cinder blocks inside. I wasn't able to find the right size tub. There's a slight angle at the floor of the pool, so no tubs would sit closely enough against the pool wall and the dog wouldn't cooperate by taking the wide step. Suction cups, however, to hold it in place are an excellent idea! I'm going to try a couple of things, including this again.
I really like the idea of the extended step on the ladder. Very clever! I have the standard style ladders - kind of the shape of an elongated C - the top end sits into holes on the pool deck and the bottom rest on the side of the pool (picture found here: http://www.poolsinc.com/la_igss.html). The water is 3 feet deep there, so this could work. I can't figure out what material would be strong enough and, more importantly, what could I use to secure it onto the ladder step?
What about a ramp? What material would work okay?
Thanks a bunch,
Lizzie

rferrel1
04-03-2006, 03:52 PM
i'm a little confused - new contributor here - actually in the process of deciding between a Sharkliner or an Artesian AG pool. CAN dogs swim in liner pools? Is it enough to teach them where and how to get up. You mention that your dog is a big dog - mine are labs??

Just really curious here. I would love to be able to let my dogs in the pool when I'm out there with them!

waterbear
04-03-2006, 04:29 PM
I have 3 small dogs, Yorkie, Miniature Schnauzer, and longhaird Daschund and non of mine can get up the pool steps without help. I have seen an inexpensive exit ramp for dogs and cats called the the Scamper Ramp that I have been considering. Does anyone know anything about it? The idea of weighted plastic crates sounds good but it would take up a lot of space in my small pool. I am open to any ideas or suggestions myself!

thilbert
04-04-2006, 05:16 PM
i'm a little confused - new contributor here - actually in the process of deciding between a Sharkliner or an Artesian AG pool. CAN dogs swim in liner pools? Is it enough to teach them where and how to get up. You mention that your dog is a big dog - mine are labs??

Just really curious here. I would love to be able to let my dogs in the pool when I'm out there with them!

I have a vinyl lined pool and I also have a lab. She swims in the pool everyday with no damage to the pool at all. If your lab is as smart as most then you probably won't even have to show her where to get out, I didn't. Of course, our pool has steps.

We have a lot of fun with her. We'll throw balls into the pool and watch her get a good steam up and launch herself into the pool. It's hilarious and she likes it too.

Orbit06
04-05-2006, 02:24 PM
I've never had any problems with the dog and the vinyl liner. My dog is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (about 74 pounds) and she swims in it more than anyone else!
If you want the dog to use the pool, make sure you get one with built-in steps - like I said, my dog can't get out by herself. Anything I get now will either be A. Expensive or B. Unsightly or awkward. I've taught her to rest while standing in the shallow end, but if she somehow got into the pool without us around, there's a serious chance she would drown. She will swim for hours upon hours - which, as you can imagine, leads to exhaustion.
I also bought the Skamper Ramp - it was way too flimsy for my dog, even though I bought the extension for larger dogs. It would probably work with the smaller dogs, though. I keep it in the pool to save small animals that fall in the pool. I'm pretty sure it works because before having the Skamper Ramp, I used to find dead squirrels, rabbits, snakes, etc. fairly often, but none since I got it. It is definitely NOT for medium to larger dogs - maybe in an emergency.
Any other thoughts on makeshift steps or ramps for the dogs?
Thanks

kaybinster
04-05-2006, 02:59 PM
I have two siberian huskies that love to go swimming in the pool. They have never hurt the liner, but we have built in steps that they use with no problem. I had a tech come work on my hidden fence (keeps the dogs on the property) and he brought his lab with him. That dog was amazing. He would jump about four feet in the air and dive into the pool. What was amazing was he did not use the steps to get out, he knew how to climb the ladder! Now that is some smart dog.

haze_1956
04-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Here's a basic drawing of the step extension I was thinking about.

Could be built flat or possibly at an angle with cleats on it.

Notched pieces go over steps and can be held on with large zip ties, then the platform and bracing attached to those.

Should give you something to work from.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/slapics/Dogstep.jpg

huskerfan
04-10-2006, 01:17 AM
My steps from Dunnrite.com were under $300 including freight charges. I love them. That is still a lot of money, though.

A cheaper alternative that just might work is a plastic step mounting block for getting on horses. We actually have a two step one that we use to get up into our dressing room part of our horsetrailer. They come in different heights. Ours is open in the back so you could put a sand bag in it. Check with your local tractor supply stores - such as Bomgaars or TSC- or an online dealer is Valley Vet Supply. I paid $15 for mine on sale- reg. price would be around $30 or so. Just a thought.

ekoboat
05-27-2006, 02:16 PM
I also have a IG vinyl pool w/o steps. I am considering building my own using kingstarboard or something like it. It works as easy as plywood but is a plastic. Still need to run costs, will keep you posted.
Steve

TimWillin2
05-28-2006, 03:05 PM

My pool belongs almost exclusively to my dog. She loves it! We've had ladders and steps and have never had a problem with her ripping the liner.

bsbrega
05-29-2006, 06:45 AM
Has anyone got a dog who swims in their AGP? We only have the plastice V-shaped ladder. . .DOubt our dog would go for that!