PDA

View Full Version : Closing pool, algaecide added and PH level real high now

tdurban
10-19-2013, 09:24 AM
Getting ready to close the pool, vacumed, then added algaecide (60% polyquat), about 3 hrs later tested the water, and the PH which had been 7.6 the day before, was off the charts. When added the drops for acid demand, it just got pinker and pinker...never seen it do that. In researching the affects of algaecide, it doesn't appear it should affect the PH this way. Thoughts ?
Also, is there a page on the pool forum that lists step by step instructions for closing your pool ? I seem to read so many different ways. I am doing this, vacuuming, adding algaecide, wait a few hrs, then shock the pool, then will drain, blow out lines, add antifreeze, cap the the returns, fill with water so over the jets, put the pool cover on.

Thanks.

CarlD
10-20-2013, 04:10 PM
I suggest getting the water adjusted first, then shutting down the pump and filter and blowing out the lines.

tdurban
10-20-2013, 05:15 PM
My pool has been in balance all summer, it wasn't until I added the bottle algacide that the ph read very high. So I was wondering if that's a normal reaction of the ph because of adding algacide?
Also, is there a page of closing instructions on the forum, I looked but just didn't see.
Thanks.

Watermom
11-02-2013, 01:06 PM
There are some stickied threads at the top of the forum section about starting up and shutting down pools that may be helpful.