PDA

View Full Version : Pool Store Questions

smokeygrl
06-02-2006, 04:14 PM
I went in to a Leslie's today to get an FAS-DPD test kit - they didn't have one and the manager says they don't carry them - I'm just going to order Ben's now (I've been holding off because of the expense but I've already spent close to $30.00 in "cheap" test kits and strips and still don't have a complete picture of my pool chemistry - so Ben's kit, in my mind, has now become economical.) I'll use distilled water to adjust my samples while I wait for it to come in the mail....but anyway, this is the reason for my post, all the discussion about needing a kit that tests above 10ppm led to the manager asking why I needed to test for high chlorine....you all know the rest of the story but, this one I never heard of before and has me slightly concerned...... She said that it is very dangerous to run your chlorine at 8ppm (my CYA is at 100) and instead, I should keep it at 1-3ppm and use algaecide if I'm worried about a bloom. She asked if I had children and said that I was endangering them by letting them swim at such unsafe levels and I should become more informed about the dangers of chlorine.
What say you???

duraleigh
06-02-2006, 05:00 PM
The first half of your post makes perfect sense...you will love the kit.

The pool store lady is totally misinformed. I would disregard her "expertise".

Watermom
06-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Your children would be in danger from swimming in an inadequately sanitized pool if you run cl of 1-3 with cya of 100. Not a good thing.

CarlD
06-02-2006, 06:44 PM
There is little if any evidence of danger to you children swimming in 8ppm chlorine, espec with CYA=100. 8 is the MINIMUM FC you should have at that CYA level.

There is CENTURIES of evidence of the danger in swimming in improperly sanitized water. Cholera, typhoid, other water-borne diseases. Killing algae has no effect on them.

The clerk doesn't know her elbow from a turnip when it comes to pool chemicals.

Wayne LaBanca
06-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Oh my god, the pool stores are amazing. I went to Leslie's looking for some Cya test chems and the box on the rack was empty. All they had was the full kit. I asked the girl there if they had any in the back and she said "no.". She then proceeded tp stare at the rack for a few minutes until I said "OK, I guess I'll just get the kit then.". I swear she must have been stoned LOL.

Do they hire people that they feel are not capable of doubting their practices???

waterbear
06-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Oh my god, the pool stores are amazing...

Do they hire people that they feel are not capable of doubting their practices???
IMHO, for the most part, yes!:D