PDA

View Full Version : Salt Generators eating away coping?

AponoLaura
03-30-2006, 02:21 PM
We have noticed a problem with salt generators (both Goldline and Jandy have been installed in our pools) eating away at natural product coping. Has anyone else run into this problem or know of a way to stop it from happening? All our pools are inground and usually have stone coping and stone decking but we are noticing a significantly larger problem with disintegration of the coping as opposed to the decking, probably due to differing types of stone but we are unsure if that is the case.

Thanks!

Waterworks
04-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Although the salt-water in the pool is not corrosive at levels of 3000-3500 ppm, when that water hits the coping and evaporates, it leaves pure salt behind. The pure salt is corrosive and is probably the cause of the corroding coping. At least, that's my $0.02.

In order to isolate the problem, you could try adding the same level of salt to a pool with the same coping and no chlorine generator. This way, if the coping corrodes, you know it is the salt doing it and not the generator itself.

Brad
www.waterworkspools.com

dsmith6666
04-18-2006, 04:42 PM
The coping around my steps where people tend to sit with wet suits dangling feet in the water is significantly more corroded than the rest of the pool. I noticed that happening since we have switched to salt water a couple years ago.

The other thing that seems to be a problem is corrosion at the ladder. The deck anchors I believe are cast aluminum and the ladder is stainless steel. The saltwater has corroded the deck anchors to the point that I had to use a sledge hammer to remove my ladder last fall.

We just purchased a PVC ladder to replace the SS. That should elininate the corrosion between the dissimilar metals hopefully. I'm not sure what to do about the deck anchors. They are in rough shape anyway but I have no idea how to replace them. I'm am more than a bit hesitent to go at my deck with a hammer and stone chisel.

Has anyone experienced the ladder issue or replaced the deck anchors. I am very open to advice.

Thanks
Dave

dsmith6666
06-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Just to update, I chiseled out the old deck anchors and cemeted in new brass ones. I expect brass and a PVC ladder will solve the issue. After the cement dried I found that I was off 1/2 inch or so on the location of the anchors so the ladder doesn't rest flat against the pool wall but it not too bad.

I still wouldn't trade the SWG for anything.

Dave