PDA

View Full Version : Trying to close but out of practice - help!

CoffeeBean
09-16-2013, 10:37 AM
It's been a couple of years since I posted here. Two since I even opened my pool due to travel (last) and health (this) year. We have a Doughboy deep end 18,500 vinyl liner, sand filter, Hayward pump set up. After years of fighting the winter cover/clean thing we purchased an Aquashield Safety cover in the fall of 2011. Last summer's water was clear & clean despite not opening. Over the past winter the gaskets between the panels slipped allowing dust, dirt, rain, etc., into the pool. Although it was still clean for most of this summer, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the water had a substantive algae growth. So...I dug out my PoolForum notes and set to work.

I've shocked, polyquated, (but...had to use something else subsequently because stores out of polyquat.), flocked, vac'd (from inside the pool due to the cover), added stabilizer, and now have nearly clear water. (Ugh. All this hard work just to shut it down soon)

Last night's #'s before adding 2# of stabilizer/This morning's #'s after 16hrs on filter:

FC - 3/ 2.5
CC - 1/1
TC - 4/ 3.5
pH - 7.4/7.2
Alk - 100/70
CYA - 0/0
temp - ?/63 (from 69 1 week ago)

Due to the fact that removing the Aquashield panels is not effort-effective at this point and I need to close for the winter we did not remove them but the end panels are open. I smell a strong chlorine odor out there this morning as well.

What do I need to do now to get it stabilzed so that I can shut it down?

Also, I noted in Watermom & Carl's shut down notes re: adding CL during the winter but since there is no pump, how does it get circulated?

When I lifted the lids, there was a green algae line at the then water line. That brushed off easily. There also was black mold like stuff around the top of the liner, under the rails, and above what would've been the normal water line had the pool been open. Some of it cleaned off but it left a stain. I tried using the Stain free Vit C stuff and even straight CL on a white rag but nothing took it off. The liner was brand new two summers ago (last time I opened). What was it and is there anything I can do to get it off?

As always, I appreciate the hard work & dedication of all who run this site and contribute to it. And I thank you in advance for saving my behind.

PoolDoc
10-08-2013, 01:57 PM
dunno why or how this thread got closed, but it's open now.

CarlD
10-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Isn't this a dup of another thread? I thought I combined two and left a marker.