PDA

View Full Version : New heat source - thoughts and questions...

Bertie
09-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi,

Recently moved into house that has an in-ground pool (32ft by 16ft by 8ft at deepest point). Got the pool re-commissioned by a local guy who did a very good job of turning a green sludge pool to a crystal clear one! However, the previous owner bought a very cheap heat exchanger which we ran for a few weeks - the pool never got about 23 degrees and cost so much in electricity that I've had to switch it off.

So - my question is...I have a 30kw gas boiler in the house that is barely used during the summer months. Can you utilise house boilers to heat pools in some way? Sorry if this seems like a strange question!

Thanks.

Dave.

BigDave
09-09-2013, 11:20 PM
This is a guess - I'm no expert on home heating systems and I know nothing of how things are done in the UK. I would expect pool water wouldn't be much good for a boiler. I suppose if you could plumb in a tube or plate type heat exchanger compatible with pool water and boiler water you could use a hot water loop to heat the pool but you'd need to fully understand how to mitigate the risk of heating a closed volume of water. You wouldn't want the launch the boiler or heat exchanger through the wall or roof.