PDA

View Full Version : New pool filter is kicking back algae into the pool

murkywaters
09-01-2013, 11:31 AM
My first post!

I have a large Doughboy above ground pool.

About a month ago we switched from a DE Filter (which was clogging-up all the time) to a Hayward X-Treme paper-cartridge filter. We figured we would save money from constantly recharging the DE. I have run this new filter for the past month and it has not cleaned the pool to an extent that the water is clear and clean. It has a hard time filtering the algae and I am having to take it apart more times than I want to manually clean this cartridge.

Also, there are two rubber plugs on the pump (back by the on/off switch) that were laying next to the pump one day last week. They had blown out. Anybody know why? Did the pump overheat? The manual that came with the pump offers no info on this. I replaced the plugs and it seems to be working normally (running great guns but not cleaning the pool water that is). Any suggestions/comments from the more-seasoned pool people out there would be appreciated. Thanks.

kelemvor
09-27-2013, 12:05 PM
I can't tell you about the plugs, as I'm not familiar with your equipment. I think I can help you with your filtration problem.

Before you filter algae out of the water you need to kill it. Live algae will clog a filter like nobody's business. It will also continue to grow inside your pipes and filter its-self. Kill the algae, then filter out the dead algae. The paper filter won't get things quite as clear as DE, but your water should still end up looking quite nice.

The first step would be to get a decent test kit to know where your chemical levels are. We recommend Taylor's K-2006 kit. Most local stores don't keep it in stock, but you can order it online. Pooldoc wrote up detailed information on how to get it http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?14994.

Once you know where your chemical levels are at, you'll know what you need to put in the water to clear it up. You can get a head start if you can find an "HTH 6 Way" kit at walmart. They're fairly inexpensive, and if your walmart has one you can get it today (or whenever you feel like driving to the store). Testing and knowing your chemical levels are the key to being able to manage your pool properly.

There are two documents that will be worth your time to read. First is "The BBB Method of Pool Care (http://poolsolutions.com/gd/the-BBB-method-of-swimming-pool-care.html)". This explains the easy (and inexpensive compared to other methods) way of doing things. The next is the "Best Guess Chlorine Chart (http://poolsolutions.com/gd/best-guess-swimming-pool-chlorine-chart.html)". This tells you roughly how much chlorine you need to prevent algae, and to eliminate algae based on your CYA level.

Once you have a test kit and run a test, post your results along with the volume of your pool water. We can help you a little more after that.

The bottom line is, as I mentioned above, you have to kill the algae before you filter it out.

PoolDoc
10-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Membership updated. . .

CarlD
10-09-2013, 03:05 PM
You'll need to tell us more, especially about the size of the filter and pump. My "shot-in-the-dark" W.A.G (wild a-- guess) is that your pump is very powerful and your filter is too small. Soooooooooo, it clogs up quickly with algae and back-pressure builds up. I'm FURTHER guessing your DE filter was 'way too small for your pump as well, because there's no way a properly sized and maintained DE filter should have given you that much trouble.

All three types of filters (DE, Cartridge, Sand), if properly sized to pool and pump will give superb performance when properly maintained. I've had both sand and cartridge and my dad had a DE, and sizing and maintaining is necessary for all three.

But.....there could well be something completely different going on....that's why it's a W.A.G.