PDA

View Full Version : Geothermal Heating

Gibby
08-25-2013, 02:37 PM
hi guys

seeing if anyone can help out. want to heat my pool. i have a Geothermal System in my home doing my Heating and Cooling for my home. when i talk to the guys who put it in when i was buying it they said i could use it to heat my pool, but the company went bankrupt, and now im having trouble finding someone to come look at it and tell me what i need to do

so anyone here do this or know someone?
is it easy to do?
thx to anyone who can help

Beautye350
10-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Gibby,

I, too, have a geothermal system in my home. For me it is providing heating, cooling, and domestic hot water. The DHW side is being provided by a separate ground-source water to water heat pump, but I am not using it to heat my pool. The more common scenario is to use a desuperheater for DHW and may have been what your initial installer was referring to. The way I understand them, they dump some of the heat that is pumped during the home cooling cycle into a water resevior.

I think you are on the right track in that this is definitely going to take a professional to design/install it for you.

Here are some various contacts I found: (You didn't say what brand of geo equipment you have now, so I'm throwing a bunch your way)

Mike Kapps
WaterFurnace Global Sales Phone: +1 260 247 2788
Email: mike.kapps@waterfurnace.com

Bosch Geothermal Heat Pumps
Product Support: 1-866-642-3198

http://www.trane.com/residential/find-a-dealer/

http://www.climatemaster.com/residential/geothermal-heat-pumps/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

Motoman
10-21-2013, 12:10 AM
If your existing unit is already equipped with an HWG (hot water generator) you shouldn't have much of an issue using it for pool heating.
However, I wouldn't expect a very high btuh output. They are designed to provide heat to a domestic hot water tank, not the size of a swimming pool. They are also designed with a triple layer coax coil, incorporating an atmospheric vent between the refrigerant and water lines, this is to eliminate the risk of potable water contamination with refrigerant.

There are also aftermarket HWGs that can be installed on any AC or heat pump unit. I wouldn't suggest installing one unless you're knowledgable on refrigeration.

My guess is, the old contractor was suggesting to have the ground water loop circuit rerouted to your pool water? I'm a bit concerned about this approach, with the potential for refrigerant contamination. It is a slight risk, but a risk none the less.

A great concern would be routing the ground loop circuit to a hot tub. A large refrigerant leak in a small environment could be extremely hazardous.