PDA

View Full Version : Did I damage my pool?

KirstenHW
06-02-2006, 12:09 PM
I just read in a thread that with CYA <30 not to shock a vinyl pool with more than 20 (or so) TC. When I opened, I had <30 CYA and shocked with bleach to about 24. Its down to around 5 now and crystal clear. But in hindsight my heart is in my throat that I damaged the liner (only 2 years old). And before this yuear I am embarassed to say that I have shocked it without regard to CYA levels in the past. Last year by mid season I had too much CYA, but not at the start of the season. I guess its a little like closing the barn door after the horse has left . . . If I did in fact damage it, what would the signs be?

JohnT
06-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Fading colors would be the first sign. Brittleness would be next. I doubt you've hurt it, and it won't do any good to worry if you have.:)

CarlD
06-02-2006, 12:32 PM
I would guess the WORST you did was fade it a little. It's not good to go that high, or keep it there, but I expect you'd have more damage letting pH go too low.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. Eventually, you'll have to replace the liner. It may be 5 years, it may be 15 years. So, until you actually have problems with the liner, there is NOTHING you can do, so why worry? Go swimming instead!

KirstenHW
06-02-2006, 01:58 PM
I figured that would be the answer. I don't see any fading and this year the high levels were only for between 18-24 hrs - it then dropped down to 15. Our first liner lasted from 1982 to 2004 - I hope this one will too. The first time around my dad would thow HTH directly in and do all sorts of bad stuff. That was pre-Pool Solutions though. Plus the old liner was white with a blue tile pattern on the floor.

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks.