PDA

View Full Version : Deck edging

Dennis11
08-20-2013, 05:30 PM
I have a oval above ground pool with a deck around it that meet the pool under the copin. I would like to build onto the deck some type of decking that goes above and covers the coping so that the plastic coping is not seen. Any ideas how to do this? Thanks.

PoolDoc
08-21-2013, 02:48 PM
your member ship is updated; post moved to the correct section . . . but I can't help with your question.

So welcome, and good luck!

nefretrameses
08-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Can you post some pictures? Wood deck or other? You want decking to cover the coping so it can't be seen from the deck, the pool, the house????

Dennis11
08-22-2013, 07:26 PM
It is a wood deck. Trying to cover the plastic coping so that it look more like an inground pool. When I'm on the deck I don't want to see the plastic edging, but wood that goes over the decking. I think I should have had the deck go above the coping instead of under. Don't know if it is fixable.

nefretrameses
08-24-2013, 07:56 AM
I doubt that you would want some kind of step or ledge. So removing the decking and raising the frame seems about it. I suppose you could just add on top of the deck that's in place. What's the distance from the top of the deck to the top of the coping? Square/rectangular/round or oval?

Dennis11
08-24-2013, 01:18 PM
I doubt that you would want some kind of step or ledge. So removing the decking and raising the frame seems about it. I suppose you could just add on top of the deck that's in place. What's the distance from the top of the deck to the top of the coping? Square/rectangular/round or oval?

About 3 inches. Oval pool. Could I do a 3 inch thick board around the pool and then put a 2 by 12 deck board on top of it that goes out over the coping and then put wood edging on the end. Don't know how to attach the block so that it can support the weight log the 2 by 12.

nefretrameses
08-24-2013, 04:05 PM
A 2 x 12 will tolerate a fairly large distance between supporting members below it. I dont think id go more than 24 inches. You could use a 2 x 4 on edge. Its 1/2 inch too tall, but that should provide a little "wiggle room". Drill holes at an angle and secure to the existing deck with screws. Id use stainless steel or at least coated deck screws. You could look at the man made decking for the face inside the pool. It may need a new edge, but it should work like wood. Leave the new deck boards a little long over the coping temporarily installed. Take the face boards and clamp it in place so that it makes the arch you want. Mark the deck boards and cut them to the mark. There is also PVC trim boards you can get at Lowes or HD. You could use the man made decking for the whole thing too, but Id make the supports have a 16 inch spacing.

PoolDoc
11-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Your pictures:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hK2Y06Uralk/UnhPhEXaeMI/AAAAAAAAGTc/E_ZNY2oYK1w/s1000/img4.jpg

2. & 3.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AamQ_3Tx6vM/UnhPgmf_WqI/AAAAAAAAGTE/ESMVh4S07Aw/s800/img1.jpg https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-VJrJLxz5thw/UnhPg8yd7pI/AAAAAAAAGTM/Y-Ois61bSGc/s800/img2.jpg

4. & 5.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sjGRncmDfSk/UnhPg0fuRtI/AAAAAAAAGTQ/Yur8io-HH20/s800/img3.jpg https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zwciPxSza4c/UnhPhdGLMyI/AAAAAAAAGTY/E_XYjbCYdhQ/s800/img5.jpg

Dennis11
11-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Any ideas to cover the plastic pool edge with wood would be appreciated. Thanks.

PoolDoc
11-09-2013, 07:18 PM
I think the hesitation may be that folks are reluctant to give you an answer you're not likely to appreciate: if you want to cover that coping in a seamless fashion, you're basically going to have to remove your entire deck, add new higher supports, and the replace the deck and fence.

I'm not a skilled carpenter myself, so I can't really tell you how best to do it. I will caution you that you probably do not want treated wood edges where the coping is now: it might be fine for a year, but after it weathers, it will provide your guests with 'thread-picked' swimsuits and butt splinters.

nefretrameses
11-09-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure there's a way to support a new deck board above the coping along the straight sides of the pool. I was thinking that you could place a 2 x 4 on edge over each row of screws/nails in the old deck and place a new deck on top of this that would overhang the coping. But you would need to use a 2 x 8 on edge that was notched out so that it extended over the coping and was still thick enough to support the new deck. If you used a 2 x 6, the notch would only leave a 2 1/2 inch thick portion to support the deck over the coping - this is not enough. You are looking at raising the existing deck by about 9 inches and the new deck would be higher than the coping by 5 1/2 inches. I'm not sure that would be satisfactory.

If this is still something you want to try, I'd suggest using pressure treated for the 2 x 8's and "Trex" or similar plastic/pvc/recycled decking. You can then make a "face" that attaches to the edge of the new 2 x 8/deck to cover the edge. Your fence will appear quite a bit lower from the new deck as well. I'll still do sketches if you want. It appears to be a lot of work (and pricey). How about just painting the coping?