PDA

View Full Version : Green water

NannyAng
08-17-2013, 01:36 PM
I've been looking in my local classifieds for a used Intex Ultra set pool so I can upgrade to a bigger pool next summer at a reasonable price. I found a seller who has an almost new 16' x 48" for a really low price. His filter pump broke a few weeks ago so he just decided to sell the pool only. He hasn't been using the pool since the pump broke and the water is now green. He left it set up and filled so he could show potential buyers that it had no leaks. I'm going to purchase it but my question is this: Should I just have him drain the green and deal with cleaning the liner after draining, or should he add a few gallons of bleach to the green water, brush the sides, stir it around, and wait a couple days for the green to clear up first before emptying it. I'm going to put it right into storage and save it for next summer, so I want it as clean as possible so its ready to go next year.

singingpond
08-17-2013, 02:22 PM
If the seller is willing to dump in a few gallons of bleach, and slosh it around, why not?

However, I'd guess the seller isn't nearly as motivated to get the pool really clean as you are. I imagine you'll have to do some more cleaning and drying yourself (either at the pool's present location, or after you get the pieces home).

Our only pool experience so far is with a 1000 gallon donut pool (similar to the one you currently have set up, I think), and I'm always impressed with how long it takes to thoroughly clean and dry the thing before packing it away for the winter. I don't think a seller, who wants to get rid of the pool, and isn't charging much for it, will do that kind of work for you.

Of course, maybe it's OK to pack a liner up wet and dirty, and plan on doing more cleaning next season when it's set up again... I'm not optimistic, but haven't actually tried the experiment.