PDA

View Full Version : A bit early but...

psteward
06-02-2006, 09:32 AM
I've got a 20x40 pool with a heater and sand filter.
I've had a pool company open and close my pool for three years, but this year I intend to do it myself. I live in Omaha Nebraska so I need to do it right so I don't cause myself serious freezing problems.
Does anyone know of any literature (books articles etc), or have personal experience on how to do this?
Also, they took the plugs and broke a couple of cover tie-downs I need to replace. Does anyone have advice on a where to locate pool items like these?

CarlD
06-02-2006, 05:15 PM
I uncover my sand filter and put the low-drain cap on it. Then I attach the 6 way valve.
I attach all my plumbing (my pump and hoses).
I remove the cover.
I remove the plugs--the low drain is tricky. This year I set a pair of pump pliers to the correct opening and duct-taped it like that to the end of a long stick. I was able to remove the low drain plug without getting in.
I open the skimmer, put in the basket and the weir (the flapper door)
I open all the valves that should be open, and start the pump to be sure it's working.
Then I toss in my Dolphin and plan on running it 3 or 4 cycles to clean the pool.
Then I turn on the pump and I test my water.
I adjust what needs to be adjusted, but I start with pH and chlorine.

psteward
06-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks Carl,
How much trouble is it close for the winter? Do you blow out the pipes, put in antifreeze etc??

CarlD
06-05-2006, 09:58 PM
No, I have an AG. I remove the pipes drain them, and put them in the basement. I drain the filter from the drain hole underneath, but no anti-freeze.