PDA

View Full Version : How do I heat an Easy Set Pool?

Larryh86GT
08-14-2013, 09:18 AM
I have enjoyed using my little Intex Easy Set pool for maybe 2 weeks so far this summer. But now the water is too cool to use comfortably (even with a solar blanket being used) and I am now reconsidering my thoughts on getting a larger pool next year because of this. After searching for a pool heater option I found this one:

SolarPRO XB2 Solar Swimming Pool Heater for Soft Sided Pools

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj36/Lawrencep0/Solarpoolheater_zps795a2d89.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/Lawrencep0/media/Solarpoolheater_zps795a2d89.jpg.html)

"The SolarPRO XB2 is the perfect solution for adding solar-powered heat to your soft-sided above ground pool. Its compact size allows you to place it anywhere there is full sun and it easily attaches to any 1/2 HP or smaller existing pump and filter system including Intex. It's made to last, having been put through water pressure testing and heavy chemical loads. There is no gas or electric line to run, you can do it yourself, and even link multiple units together to gain even more heat and heat larger pools. Open earlier, stay warmer, enjoy your pool more, and close later - all with this economical product. Each Unit measures 3.25' L X 3.25' W X 3.0 H "

Is anyone using it? Does it really work enough to make a difference? Will it work with the small filter pump the little donut pools use? Are there other inexpensive options?

Larry

Larryh86GT
08-16-2013, 07:59 AM
If nobody on this forum is using this that probably means it doesn't work well and the easy set donuts can't be heated. :questions:

nefretrameses
08-16-2013, 04:49 PM
Larry, I'd definitely wait for a response from others with far more knowledge about your particular pool. From what I understand, their pump capacity is minimal, meaning, it will work as long as the water is clear. If you get algae, it takes forever to clear it up once the algae is dead. If your pump capacity is minimal, putting one or more of these devices in line may cause a problem, i.e. your turnover will not be enough to keep the water clean. Most solar websites state that you need solar panels that are at least half your pool's surface area (less further south, more further north). Your 10' diameter pool has a surface area of about 85 sq.ft. It's not clear how big the panels are or how big your pump is. I have read that some of the Mods with AG pools have successfully added solar, but I can't speak about their particular setup.

If you move to sunny Florida, you can swim from March to October without artificial heat. (Sorry). :p

Larryh86GT
08-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks nefretrameses. I believe you are correct about the panel not being large enough to be usefull. Oh well.

Charlie_R
08-18-2013, 07:51 AM
I have a 15' x 48" metal frame Intex, that I heat with a DIY wood heater. My usual wood source is broken/discarded pallets, and any other free wood I can get. Works quite well, using the "tower" pump that came with the pool.

Weather lately has been somewhat cool, lows in the upper 50's to lower 60's, and I'm able to keep the water a nicely swimmable 85-95, with keeping it covered at night.

I don't know if this would be something you could do, since you are in an urban environment, as it does get a bit smoky at times.

If you want to know more, just ask!

Larryh86GT
08-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Unfortunately we cannot burn wood in our yards here. On a positive not the pool water temperature did get up to 76 yesterday and we were able to use it yesterday. I believe we have just been having a cool spell here.

nefretrameses
08-18-2013, 12:57 PM
There are some solar panels made by Fafco that can be placed on the ground, a fence, etc. I believe there is a 2' x 20' panel that wouldgive you 40 sq. Ft. But you will probably need to run a seperate pump. I think that if you have room for 2 panels, you could size a pump for the flowrate required by the panels and not spend a whole bunch of money. Something likethat would probably extend you season considerably.