PDA

View Full Version : Baquagoo???

millerm711
06-02-2006, 06:23 AM
I converted to Chlorine last summer but still have this substance in my pool. It is very much like a paste and is all through my aquabot each day but very hard to see in the pool. The pool appears crystal clear. I was able to see some of it settle to the bottom to get this photo. The baquacil dealer told me it was a form of water mold last year but I am not so sure. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Mike

aylad
06-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Can't get the links to work. When you converted, did you change your filter media?

Janet

millerm711
06-02-2006, 06:40 AM
I did change the sand after the conversion. Poconos helped me and the pool really looks great. Very happy to have converted. I just uploaded larger pictures. You may have to reload the page. Mike

aylad
06-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Your pool looks fantastic--congrats on your conversion! Have you tried letting it all settle to the bottom, then vac to waste?

Janet

millerm711
06-05-2006, 05:56 AM
sorry for delay.....out of town for the weekend for aau basketball.
There is not that much of the stuff that you could just let it settle and then vac. There is actually very little and most people could not see it unless I point it out. It seems to come out of the lines. What type of a substance do you think it is? Mike

duraleigh
06-05-2006, 07:02 AM
Hi, Mike,

I don't know what it is, but I'll bet I know the cure.....chlorine!

Post your test results from this morning and you'll get some good help.

SLS
06-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Mike,
That looks like the same stuff I was finding in the skimmer and pump basket when they told me I had watermold. I think you will see less and less of the stuff as you continue to use chlorine.
I was told to pour a small amount of muratic acid through my skimmer so it would go through the lines while I was still using baquacil. I doubt that was very good for my pump and filter but it seemed to work for a while. I don't know if it will help any since you are on chlorine now.
You may try pouring some bleach directly into your skimmer while your pump is running and the high dose may speed up the process. If you don't know, MAKE sure you don't have any chlorine pucks in the skimmer when you do this as it can cause an explosion!! I don't know if it is dangerous if you have a swg or automatic chlorinator along the system, so you want to check that out before you try it if you have either.

millerm711
06-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Yes ,I also have used the muriatic acid a few times with the baquacil people to get rid of the water mold. It did help push stuff from the lines but my pool was still cloudy.
This paticular goo started appearing last year while still on bacquacil and trying one of the many ways they recommended to get rid of watermold. I tried a different shock(monopersulfate ??????) and also some type of water mold pucks that were compatible with bacuacil. needless to say nothing worked.My pool is 20 x 40 and is used a lot. The only thing that cleared my pool was a almost 3 week chlorine conversion. What a relief it was to have clear water. When I saw th cotton candy like mold come out from behind my light...... I knew it was time for the switch.
I am hopeful that this goo will dissapate as I continue using chlorine. There is actually ver little of it and it just happened to settle in a 4inch area when I scooped some out for the picture. Yesterday the robot had almost zero goo in it and my pool looks great. I think I could read a newspaper off the bootom. I will post test results later in the week. Thanks, Mike

aylad
06-06-2006, 05:21 PM
I suspect it's probably just water mold left over from your Baq days, maybe breaking free of your pipes or crevices in your pool. I feel confident that with adequate chlorine levels, it will all eventually dissipate and hopefully you'll never see it again! :)
Janet

SLS
06-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Mike,
I used baq for three years. This will be my fourth year on chlorine (mostly bleach) and I never regret changing. My pool is also 20 x 40 (32,000 gals) and the baq just about broke me trying to keep a clear pool. The third year I never saw the bottom clearly. I can see if a coin is heads or tails in the deep end now and my pool is never a problem. You will enjoy your pool again!!
Best of luck and happy swimming!!!

millerm711
06-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Thanks everyone for your input. I am thinking it is just residual water mold. After school party today for faculty and staff from the school I teach at. 60 people and the pool looks fabulous. Thankful I dont have my perfectly balanced baquacil(cloudy) pool. Mike