PDA

View Full Version : Pool Pump Not Working...

Darkside
08-07-2013, 06:04 PM
came home from vacation with a clear, but dirty pool. my pool pump crapped out while we were away. if I give it power and flip the switch it just hums...

the pump is a waterway 2 speed pump model number PB2200-6PP it looks like the motor is actually an A.O. smith motor. can anyone help me locate a replacement from a good online retailer? I've been searching online myself and am overwhelmed by the number of pumps and the prices seem to be all over the place. also, I don't need a 2 speed pump as I only ran it on low anyways. this is for an 18ft above ground pool.

I can provide more info and photos if the model number alone doesn't help. thanks for the help!!!

nefretrameses
08-07-2013, 07:40 PM
I bought a motor last year. I can't recall where I got it, but I searched the motor part number and checked several suppliers. Use the numbers from the motor plate. Check shipping charges. Most websites will have a look up function. I bought a US Motors replacement for my 1 1/2 hp AO Smith. If you can read the plate, the motor p/n will be on the pump parts list.

Where in Florida? Dave's pump repair in Ocala is the bomb! (I'm not affiliated). If it hums, it may just be a start capacitor gone bad. Lightning is notorious for taking them out. If you're not near Dave's, I'd try a local pool pump shop first. Dave rebuilt my whole pump - new motor bearings, impeller, diffuser, seals, etc. for $150 while I waited and watched. I'm a pretty handy guy, but I'd take my unit in before messing with it again. I don't think I could get the parts for that much.

nefretrameses
08-08-2013, 08:58 AM
Backyardpoolsuperstore.com (free shipping)

Charlie_R
08-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Before you order a new motor, see if you can spin the motor by hand. If you can, then check the capacitor if it has one. That will sometimes cause what you are reporting.