PDA

View Full Version : Slippery pool surface?

heartnbutterfly
08-04-2013, 06:50 AM
Hi,
I'm new here and just had an above ground pool installed. It's a 15 foot round, 54" deep. We worked our way up to this - starting with simple sets that got progressively larger, then last year we had an Intex 15 foot that Hurricane Isaac destroyed, and now a decent pool with sand filtration pump.

The installers filled and shocked the pool Thursday, and they're supposed to be bringing our chlorine and pole for the cleaning equipment tomorrow. We were told it was safe to use the pool in the meantime. We got in it for the 1st time today and the bottom of the vinyl liner was SUPER slippery! After being in the pool for a while it improved, but then I noticed that the sides were slippery as well. Is this normal or is this the beginning of algae?

I really wanted to go with a salt water system, but I was told that it would void my warranty and that parts are super expensive when the system goes out, so I have a chlorine tablet dispenser built into the pump line. I plan on doing as much research here as I can to try to find the most cost effective way of maintaining the pool.

Thanks,
Tracy

Watermom
08-05-2013, 09:30 PM
It is the beginning of algae when you feel that tale-tell slipperiness.

Go ahead and add a gallon of plain, unscented bleach. Many of us use Walmart's generic 8.25% bleach. After you add it, brush the pool. Run your pump 24/7 while you are working to clear this up and backwash your filter if the pressure rises 8-10psi over your clean filter pressure.

You might want to follow our 'recipe' for starting up a small volume pool. If you go to the section of the forum called "Chemistry for Intex-type Pools" you will find the recipe in the second stickied thread from the top. (Until your registration is completed, you will have to log out first to be able to see the rest of the forum.) Howver, if you do use the recipe, you will want to limit the use of your trichlor tablet dispenser or else your CYA will get too high.

Good luck and welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc
08-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Membership updated.

Did you solve your problem?