PDA

View Full Version : New 'Salt' pool with algae (from other thread)

roll tide
06-01-2006, 10:23 PM
The Polaris Auto Clear system hasn't worked in the 2 weeks since we filled the pool and I've shocked it twice. Now even that shocking it doesn't work. The salt system is working now but my water is green and my kids haven't swam in 4 days!

It's an 18x36 with a vinyl liner, 24,000 gallons. It has a sand filter (Hayward I think).

My ph was > 8.2 and the chlorine was 0.5 - 1.0 when I checked it 3 hours ago. I just added the Muriatic acid about 10 minutes ago.

Should I add pure bleach tonight???

I was about to call a pool supply company for someone to come out. Glad I found this site!

Thanks for the help. Blue (and green) down in Georgia.

cwstnsko
06-01-2006, 11:22 PM
We need more information. Have you tested for CYA (also called conditioner or stabilzer) If it is 0, it will be hard to keep Chlorine in the pool even with the SWG working. If it is too high, you'll need LOTS of Free Chlorine to take care of the algae. SWGs are great an keeping Combined Chlorine at 0, and a maintenence level of Free Chlorine in the pool, but to kill active algae in the pool, I'd use bleach or liquid chlorinator.

aylad
06-02-2006, 06:15 AM
Yes, you need to pour the bleach to it--but how much is going to depend on your CYA level. (See Ben's Best Guess Table for a guide for appropriate shock levels based on CYA). The other thing you need to do, once you determine your shock level, is to KEEP it at that level until the green clears up--this means testing a couple of times daily and each time adding whatever amount of bleach necessary to come back up to shock level. Just raising it once for a short period of time isn't going to kill the algae.

Janet