PDA

View Full Version : first post

merlin
07-31-2013, 06:23 AM
first post

PoolDoc
08-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Membership updated; search link is in my signature block . . .

merlin
08-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi PoolDoc,

I'm confused. I can understand how mad it can make you when people misuse your site and hack it. But if I can't search or post, why would I want to be a member? I'm not 100% sure if this will work or get to you.

PoolDoc
08-03-2013, 05:12 PM
You can search. Google indexes pages here faster than the forum software does! The link to Google search is in my blue signature block, and for most searches, Google does a better job. (If you want to do an admin search, by date, or by user, the forum software is better . . . . but then, that's an admin type search.)

Regarding hacking . . . people who don't operate servers don't realize how devastating a successful hacker attack on a server can be. The simple rule is, to get rid of it, you have to go down to the metal, when you clean the system. That means, and 100% wipe, with nothing left on the drives. There are some elaborate techniques that allow hosting companies to restore a system like that in 2 hours or less, but that's not what they usually do. Instead, they tend to restore YOUR files only, which often as not leaves the hack in place. For me, a hack means at least 2 days of work -- 30 hours.

That's at my end.

Most of the hackers coming here aren't trying to hack ME; they are trying to hack my USERS, of which you are now one. The gateway you are struggling with it what makes it safe for you to be here. Granted, you are probably using 3 or 4 other forums where you're not safe. But that's not my responsibility.

Finally, there's another issue.

We have lots of people who'd like to post answers, but only a few able to post GOOD answers. Most of PoolForum's 'users' never try to register, at least for the first year or two. Allow lots of new posters means we get overwhelmed . . . and thus the quality of information presented to the 95% of PoolForum users who NEVER register deteriorates.

Put bluntly: more people want to ask questions here, than we can answer skillfully. I've struggled to find an appropriate way to respond to that situation; I'm planning changes for 2014. But I still don't feel like I have a good answer.