PDA

View Full Version : Run downspout to pool to use roof run off ?

Tom007
07-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Is there any reason not run the roof down spout into the pool to keep the water level up with roof run off?

BigDave
07-31-2013, 12:27 PM
Might be OK if your gutters are clean (mine always have some sort of tree droppings in them). If you have an asphalt shingle roof, you may want to rig some way to catch the little rocks that coma off the roof.

I'm just not sure why you want to do this. My pool overfills when it rains and only needs water when there's no rain.

Tom007
07-31-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm just not sure why you want to do this. My pool overfills when it rains and only needs water when there's no rain.

In the hot sunny summer I get about an inch of water loss a week from evaporation. I don't bother to refill the pool with a hose until it is at least an inch below the drain. If it is an inch below the drain, in a long heavy rain my pool will over fill, but a lighter or shorter rain might only fill it half an inch. I thought if I ran something from the down spout it might be better.

BigDave
08-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Solar blankets help with evaporation, but maybe your pool's too hot already?

PoolDoc
08-01-2013, 03:58 PM
You may want to leak check your pool. I'm only 100 miles north of you -- and I'm pretty sure you've basically had the same rain we have. A loss of 1" per day, given the weather this summer is possible but not very likely.

Regardless, you want to make sure your chlorine level is pretty high, after you wash off your roof into your pool.

www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?11252-Detecting-a-leak-with-the-bucket-test

robbym70
08-02-2013, 03:15 PM
I think it was PoolDoc that mentioned bird feces in a somewhat related thread. Anything like that on your roof will be present in the water going into your pool. Enough chlorine will mitigate that I suppose but still. I would rig up some mesh or screening at the bottom to catch any debris coming down as well.

Themadczar
08-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Rain Barrel thread is here:
http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?21069-Rain-barrel