PDA

View Full Version : My High Compliment Last Night & Testimonial to BBB method-thank you Pool Solutions!

elsie
07-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi Everyone, particularly Ben and some of the mods still around who may remember me such as Watermom and Chem Geek--I hope you all are well! It's been awhile since I've posted as everything's been going smoothly for years now on the BBB method. I did want to take a minute to relay a very high compliment that I got last night talking on the phone with Jack, the man who installed my new liner five years ago (I inherited the pool 11 years ago and the relatively young liner was in rough shape from the get go) and who I had out last Friday while I was at work to swap out my Super Pump motor as the bearings had become too noisy for my sensitive ears.

He called me last night to tell me that after he swapped out motors he went topside to look at the liner and he was shocked and amazed because "it looks like I just installed it yesterday." He said most liners at five years are already showing significant signs of wear and fading. I asked him if he remembered our conversation five years ago when I told him I used the BBB method, if he recalled me telling him the ppm I maintained my CL and CYA at as well as the ppm I shocked to when I had CC, that I use the Taylor reagents and never go to the pool store unless I need a new leaf net or waste hose. I did not, however, ask him if he also recalled how he virtually screamed at me that I was going to have eye irritation, fade the liner and ruin bathing suits as it was his contention that CL should never surpass 1-2ppm irrespective of the stabilizer level (he was, quite frankly, unknowing of their relationship).

He did then vaguely recall. Then he said "you are in the top 1% of pool owners who take such good care of their pools, most have no idea what stabilizer even is. I am just blown away at how pristine the liner looks." He asked me if I dose and test every night and how my pH is, and I told him that I know my pool so well I don't have to test every day, in fact, I don't even need to use a measuring cup to dose--I haven't used it once this season. I know intuitively the ppm loss depending on how sunny or cloudy a day is and seem to know intuitively how much bleach to dump in front of the deep end jet. I usually test every 2-3 days and the water's always in the desired range…that I did test tonight, including for CC and the pH which has been spot-on all season, and that testing for all takes less than two minutes.

Then he said "I've been in this business for 30 years, and now I'm wondering if we've had it wrong all along." Since our conversation then concluded, I surmised that he wasn't quite ready to take it any further at this time, but still, I consider his words one of the highest compliments I've ever had…in my entire lifetime, and I'm pushing 60 now! And, I really wanted to share this compliment with Pool Doc and all the mods from about ten years ago who helped me immensely as I gathered all the bits and pieces of information with respect to the BBB method. It's saved me untold $, obviated the need to drive 30 miles one way to the pool store, and made pool chemistry so simple. I still remember that first season when I was chained to the pool store and spent somewhere in the $900 range for pool chems for the three months my pool is open. Now, less than $100. And no gas use or time wasted depending on the pool store.

As an aside, I had a hip resurfaced in March (ironcally more complex surgery than replacement buit more closely resembles the native hip in functionality) and after my evening 10-mile bike ride after work I jump in the pool to do water rehab. It's the greatest! When I have the other hip done sometime in the next couple of years, I'll schedule it around the same time of year. My only lament is that the season's almost done here in Alabama, despite the heat that goes well into September because of cooler overnights that facilitate evaporation as well as diminishing solar hours come mid-August. I've read of this newer chem you can add to the pool that reduces evaporation but the thought of swimming in a chem that's not well known seems on the creepy side to me...

Take care everyone!

BigDave
07-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Awesome!

sabres07
07-30-2013, 03:27 PM
What a great testimonial!! I've been at the BBB method for two years now and it's going great also.

Digger
07-30-2013, 09:39 PM
thank you for sharing. You helped me through the years watermom! I had to smile when you said about not even having to measure, I got mine down pretty good that way too. One of the things I take pride in for a pushing 60 year old also. Some one asked me how I knew how much to put in, I said I just dump. But, it isn't just that, I test every few days, eyeball it, just in tune with my pool, I guess. NOW, if I can make my 18-19 yr. liner last a few more years I will be happy. We have a leak somewhere? Thanks again for sharing! Pool people really do make you think, hmm, maybe I am crazy, it is nice to hear a testimony that that is not TRUE, smile! Even though we know better!Smile!

Watermom
07-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Hi, Elsie. I absolutely do remember you! It is great to hear how well things are going for you. Thanks so much for your post and enjoy the rest of your summer!

chem geek
07-31-2013, 03:07 AM
I've read of this newer chem you can add to the pool that reduces evaporation but the thought of swimming in a chem that's not well known seems on the creepy side to me...
Thanks for the update and the compliments. As for the chemical you add that reduces evaporation, it's not that new, but a bubble-type solar cover would be better. The chemical forms a thin single molecule layer over the water, essentially a hydrocarbon film that is water soluble at one end and avoiding water at the other end (which sticks out at the surface). The product will work about half as well as a solar cover because it mostly only affects evaporation and not heat conduction, BUT it doesn't work well at all if you've got wind since that tends to push the product to one end of the pool and choppiness at the surface tends to break it up leaving gaps.