PDA

View Full Version : When is it unsafe to swim?

kwickimom
06-01-2006, 04:11 PM
I was wondering when it is unsafe to swim. Is there a point of too much chlorine or too high ph? I now have memorized all the recommend ranges for everything.....if your pool's levels hit above the max in any category (ph,fc,ta,cya etc) is it unsafe then? and why? I will have a 3 yr old and 3 month old in the pool this year so I am just concerned about water quality and what can happen. From what I gather you need to wait like an hour after adding any chemicals...is that correct?

If your water is a little cloudy is it safe to swim? Sorry thats like a million questions, but I have read a lot of posts and can't seem to figure it all out. thanks so much inadvance. This forum rocks!! I would have given up and sold my pool by now if I didn't find this place!

Watermom
06-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Ph should be between 7.2-7.8 to be comfortable and not do damage to your pool. Usually, 7.4-7.6 is best. When speaking about chlorine above the max - well it depends on how high above max you are talking, so I can't really comment on that.

As far as whether or not it is safe to swim in cloudy water - that depends on why it is cloudy. If it is because your calcium is a little high, that is one thing, but if it is because you are at the beginning of an algae bloom , then that is something else entirely. You have to trust your readings. Typically cloudy water with algae starting to grow will cause you to have a CC reading.

kwickimom
06-01-2006, 07:33 PM
I think I need to clarify.....I know what the ranges should be and my pool is doing fine so far, I just would like to know if it is ever unsafe (like bacteria wise or chemical wise) to get in your pool. I have swam in peoples pools that are cloudy and I am wondering if like say Ph is high can that harm you as a person? I am not worried about harming the pool, just the people in it.

Simmons99
06-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I have seen a post that said you should not swim with a PH at or below 7.0 and I think I saw that someone posted that its okay to swim in clorine levels below 15 ppm.

Personally, I wouldn't swim in a green/yellow pool for several reasons. As far as cloudy - I think it would depend on why - was it because there were 5 kids in the pool? I would wait for it to clear - because it's probably due to excess biological waste in the pool.

MaryLee
06-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Personally, I wouldn't swim in a green/yellow pool for several reasons. As far as cloudy - I think it would depend on why - was it because there were 5 kids in the pool? I would wait for it to clear - because it's probably due to excess biological waste in the pool.

I also wouldn't swim in a green/yellow pool because those colors mean the pool is not sanitary for one reason or another. If a pool has algae, then who knows what else in there is being allowed to grow....

kwickimom
06-02-2006, 09:56 AM
thanks for the info....

I am still learning and I understand the chemistry of chlorine, but am still getting down everything else. Mainly ph and alkalinity are a mystery. If I keep reading I will figure it out someday. It is all so overwhelming and I have a small pool!!!! I kind of freaked out awhile about the whole bleach thing, because I know sometimes water is swallowed especially by the kids. But now that I understand its the same as the chlorine you by at the store I am feeling better about it.

CarlD
06-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Last night, the folks behind us were enjoying their new pool. It was a nightmare that took a year and a month, but now they have an IG with a spa and waterfall, gunite. Beautiful....

But thunderclouds were gathering, we closed down, and their kids were still in there. They didn't get them out until AFTER we started hearing thunder...

Bad, bad idea. There can be dangerous/deadly static electric around the water long before the lightning bolts start. Never be in a pool when thunder is even expected, much less audible.

Simmons99
06-02-2006, 01:04 PM
CarlD-

Ditto :)