PDA

View Full Version : Hayward Seal

rpmcaninch
07-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Purchased a seal for my Hayward SP2605 pump the other day. It was replacement PS-201 from US Seal. I noticed that it was slightly longer than the old one. Now the motors thermal cut-out turns it off after approx 20 seconds. It comes back on after it cools down but then it cuts off again. I ran the motor without the impeller assy and it sounds fine and will run all day. It seems as though the seal is creating enough friction to make the motor run hot. Isn't the seal ceramic against graphite? One would think there would be very little friction.

PoolDoc
07-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure what part of the seal was "longer" -- if it was just that the spring was stretched out a bit more, I wouldn't think it mattered. But if the SS sleeve was longer -- that could drag on something.

Under the circumstances, the safest thing would be to disassemble the pump, and check. If nothing's dragging or rubbing, your problem may be elsewhere. But you'd better look.

rpmcaninch
07-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Replaced the seal with an original Hayward part. No difference. Still cuts out after about 20 secs. With impeller off, shaft moves freely, with impeller and seal on, a little drag. Won't stay on long enough to prime, even after filling with water, thinking that water on the seal might help ??

PoolDoc
07-23-2013, 10:13 PM
thinking that water on the seal might help ??

No, I don't think so. Running a seal dry will ruin the seal, but it's not going to produce all that much load on the motor.

Did you try running the motor when the pump was apart? That would help you ID a problem that is with the motor. Honestly, any thing that would load the motor that much, would be likely to leave visible damage in the pump case.

Also: you can pour PLAIN 8.25% household bleach directly in the pool to keep it, while you work on the pump.

rpmcaninch
07-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Ran motor without impeller and seal, seems fine, quiet and will run as long as it has power. Put the seal and impeller on, cuts off after approx 20 seconds. With the seal and impeller on, if i rotate it by hand, only turns about 1/2 turn before it stops due to drag. I have to believe that the seal introduces some drag. When it runs outside of pump, with impeller and seal on, the seal gets rather hot in that 20 seconds that its on.

PoolDoc
07-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Wow!

No idea. I'm about 90% certain that if I was hands-on with your pump, I'd be able to tell what's wrong in just a few minutes, but I sure can't do that from here.

Sorry! You might try calling Hayward Pool -- it may be a familiar situation to them, that their techs will recognize simply by description.

Contact us by phone:

(908) 355-7995 (U.S.)

Mon-Fri, 8 AM – 5 PM

Contact us by letter:

Hayward Pool Products
Attn: Technical Services
One Hayward Industrial Drive
Clemmons, NC 27102

Contact us online, click here (https://www.haywardnet.com/forms/contactForm.cfm) to continue.

from Hayward's contact us page (http://www.hayward-pool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HaywardContent_10201_10057_-1_RES-ContactUs).

rpmcaninch
07-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks, I tried yesterday to just run the motor with only the impeller on, no housing parts. The motor runs hot. Looking at the impeller, the only thing not perfect while spinning is the front part of the impeller with the inlet hole. It isn't perfectly centered but was made that way originally. Strange, I'm starting to think my motor has a bad winding or something.