PDA

View Full Version : How to make my inground pool usable for my kids?

happyjul
07-18-2013, 03:19 PM
Is there a way to make the "shallow" part of the inground pool shallow enough so that my 2 and 4 year old can stand in it? or can i put less water in the pool so that it only reaches a foot and a half depth? only thing is that the filter intake and output are located on the shallow end, so not having water to reach it will be a problem right? how do i get around this? any help would be greatly appreciated. we are new to this, just bought a house with a pool and would really hate it if my kids couldnt get enjoyment out of it as well.

thank you

PoolDoc
07-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Well, you *could* do it like we did -- our boys didn't realize pools had a bottom, till they were 6 or 7 years old! But we were mostly swimming in large competition pools! There's a price to pay for that: we just *graduated* as 'swim parents', after spending something like 23 years on pool decks. We have two sons, and the oldest just finished his final summer as a swimmer -- anything he does now is as a "Masters", since he's not attending a college with a swim team.

Seriously, if you have a house with a pool the BEST thing is for your kids to swim. My older son has taught 100's of people to swim, from 1 year old to 65! Depending on them to not wade into water over their heads is NOT safe.

People have made various small platforms to place in their pool. But you have to watch your kids like a hawk, since it's so easy for them to trip and step off.

Unfortunately, lowering the water level below the skimmer is not, as you've noted, really an option.

Marin
07-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Yes there is - how much money do you have budgeted? A competent pool remodeler can add a ledge of any height to your existing pool. It involves some demolition to your existing pool, rebar, gunite, and new plaster. Tile, too, depending on what you choose. (I'm assuming you have a plaster pool, if liner or fiberglass just ignore me).

As for something to set in your pool, I assume a product is out there, I just can't imagine it being practical or safe. Plus, I like PoolDoc's answer.

skeeter_ca
07-19-2013, 05:51 PM
PoolDoc's is the best answer. Teach them to swim. Not being able to touch the bottom is not a problem. My 3yr old grandson is learning how to swim in our pool this season. Right now he wears a swim vest that keeps him floating head/face up in case he looses balance in the pool. Of course we are always next to him. He dog paddles all around the pool with us close in tow. Your kids will learn to swim pretty quick as long as you take the time to teach them.

I suppose a submerged deck could also be built out of some of the new plastic decking material and don't forget a fence to separate the fall off area into the pool. It could even be of a temporary nature that could be removed easily when your kids learn to swim.

skeeter