PDA

View Full Version : Added too much algaecide...help!

Jenrader
07-15-2013, 10:33 PM
I have a 26,500 gal I ground pool. It was cloudy so I went and had the water tested. I came home with a box full of chemicals and 2 pages of instructions. My husband normally does this but is away in the military. So I started down the list and had no problems. I got to the very last step and completely misread. I was supposed to add 8oz. Of the algae inhibitor but I added the whole bottle...28 whooping ounces! It was recommended that I do this at night so I will have to wait till morning to see the result. We have a pump that is on constantly and a sand filter. What do I do now?! It was supposed to be safe to swim in tomorrow but now I'm not sure. I have young young children and need to make sure it won't cause any irritations. Please advise!

PoolDoc
07-15-2013, 11:23 PM
You probably didn't need any of the algaecide - - but it won't make the pool dangerous to swim. It may make it foamy, and it might make it sting eyes more, but it will go away after a week, if you run your filter 24/7 and keep the chlorine up.

If you have a liner pool, you do NOT need calcium.
If you have a liner pool, and your pH has not been 'wandering', you do NOT need alkalinity (baking soda!)
You do NOT need phosphate remover.

There are many possible reasons for cloudy water, but:

1. Run your filter 24/7
2. Keep the chlorine levels above 3 ppm
3. Get a cheap OTO / phenol red (yellow / red) drops kit and test your pH & chlorine (NO STRIPS!)
4. Order a K2006 test kit (link in my signature block), to find out what's really in your pool. CYA levels (stabilizer) are critical. Read the Best Guess page, also linked in my signature, for an explanation.
5. Keep the kids away from the deep end, if the water is cloudy -- you don't want to loose one in cloudy water!

Good luck!