PDA

View Full Version : New Member- Above Ground Pool

Damselfly
07-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Our family just received a Summer Escape 18 X 42" above ground pool as a gift.

I am new to pool maintenance and was completely unprepared so I was relieved to find this site. We are still in the process of filling and I am following the "Intex-type Pool 7 Day Start-up Plan". We are using well water and did the bucket test as recommended and the water remained clear after 15 minutes. We will follow the "Intex Pool Care Plan" and also considering adding a Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System in order to minimize maintenance. Any thoughts on this idea?

Watermom
07-13-2013, 10:47 PM
If you do decide to get the SWCG, disconnect the wire to the copper ionizer. You do NOT want copper in your pool. Most people think it is chlorine that stains things and turns blonde hair green. But, that is false. It is copper that does that!

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

Damselfly
07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Thank you for the heads up. I have three blonde daughters and I am pretty sure you just helped us avoid a crisis.

Watermom
07-14-2013, 09:34 PM
You are welcome.

Years ago, before I knew anything about pools, my blonde hair turned green. I was on my honeymoon, walking down the beach and my husband said, "your ponytail is green!" He was right, green as seaweed. I went to a salon and the girl put something bright red on my hair (about as scary as seeing it green!) that fortunately got the green out. At the time, I thought it had turned green because the hotel pool had too much chlorine in it. Now I know it was because there was copper in the water.

Live and learn and share info with others.

PoolDoc
07-18-2013, 05:21 PM
I was on my honeymoon, walking down the beach and my husband said, "your ponytail is green!"

:D

But, like so many good "stories", I bet "fun was" . . . NOT . . . "had by all" at the time.

Watermom
07-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Traumatic! My hair was really long and really blonde. Thankfully, the salon took care of me but it was not fun and not a good way to start a honeymoon!

PoolDoc
07-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Yes. A better story, than an experience.

PoolDoc
07-19-2013, 04:55 PM
thread moved to correct section.