PDA

View Full Version : newbie 21' round AG with hazy water.

jeffstang
07-10-2013, 08:11 AM
ag, vinyl,21x52 round aprox 9800 gallons, well water, 100 lb sand filter w 1/2 hp pump

my water is clean but it just doesn't have the sparkle. it seems a little dull. my chemical levels seem ok. I just backwashed my sand filter
shocked with liquid shock from the local pool store yesterday morn because of rain.

all I have is aqua test, test strips at the moment so readings are close
fc-10 ppm
cya-30 to 50
ph-7.8
ta-100
ch-350

PoolDoc
07-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Your pH is too high for your TA + CH; it could 'tip' into precipitating calcium carbonate easily. Do NOT add any more calcium; do NOT use cal hypo to chlorinate.

Make sure your sand filter is full -- it it WAS full, and you haven't been losing small amounts of sand when you backwash, it probably still is full.

Make sure your chlorine levels are staying consistently at 3 ppm or higher. Low chlorine + shocking after several days = hazy water that lasts for days, depending on your filter. For crystal clear water, you need appropriate chlorine levels ALL the time.

jeffstang
07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
I have a very hard well so my ch readings are very high coming from the hose when I have to add make up water. I am using liquid shock from the pool store. it is cheaper than bleach from walmart and it has a higher sodium hypochlorite %. the water is crystal clear now since I shocked it but the fc level is off the high end of the chart and im concerned about chemical burns. I will wait a day or so before I use the pool.

after brushing I still see green algie growth in spots around the bottom of the pool they just reappear randomly

PoolDoc
07-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Bleach doesn't burn people. In very high concentration (> 50,000 ppm) it will remove the top layer of skin eventually. But, I've encountered commercial kiddie pools where the chemicals were mishandled, and very high chlorine levels were accidentally maintained . . . and no one even noticed. In one case, a high use infant swim pool was used for nearly a week with levels of 100 - 200 ppm, but no burns, no red skin, and no complaints. (I did drain and refill the pool, to correct the problem once I discovered it.)

Read the Best Guess chart, linked in my signature, for a more complete explanation . . . and so you'll understand why you may NEED to maintain those high FC levels till ALL the algae is gone. Then, go order a K2006 kit from Amazon (link also in my signature) so you can actually measure your pool levels accurately.

Good luck!

jeffstang
07-13-2013, 10:43 AM
im no longer concerned about the elevated ta reading it doesn't seem to make a difference with a vinyl liner pool. im maintaining a slightly higher fc level with liquid chlorine now and the pool looks great the ph seems to have stabilized as well. i guess with all the rain i just needed a little patience.