PDA

View Full Version : Solar panel roof mounting question

likesspace
03-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this forum but I have been reading for quite some time and find the knowledge here invaluable.
The question I have is on mounting a bank of 4x20 solar panels on my garage roof. As it stands right now I will be mounting either 3 or 4 of the 4x20 panels and wonder if I have to use a manufucturer supplied roof mounting kit for this application. If anyone has mounted these panels on a roof before without using the kit could you please give me some direction and ideas on how to go about this. I just really hate to put the holes in my roof that it seems are necessary with all of these kits.
Thanks in advance,
Dave

matt4x4
03-30-2006, 12:22 PM
A friend placed his on a shallow roof 5 deg. slope, and didn't fasten them, at one point they almost came down due to wind.
What you can do is to use the type of webbing (flat straps) that they would supply you anyways, and loop it through the holes in the panel placed there specifically for the webbing , bring your cut ends to the top, overlap them, melt a hole though the webbing, place a screw with big washers through, lift a shingle and mount it under the shingle with lots of tar. Preferrably, have someone inside teh garage roof placing blocks for your screws to bite into where they come though for extra strength.
Work your way up from the bottom panel

RocKKer
03-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Here is what the I did to put panels on my roof (I have a tile roof):
http://www.powermat.com/s-tile/index.html

Plumbers strap, aluminum L brackets held together with stainless steel bolts, placed under my roof tiles. Read the above website it explains how to do it and maintain a 100% waterproof roof.