PDA

View Full Version : We're new and in deep!

bzbrown
07-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Hello, we're newly registered members to the forum, although we've been using the forum for a few months now in reference to our Intex 16x48 pool. But now the game has changed! My mother moved up the street, and although she will only be living in her home 2-3 days a week opted to get a home with an in ground pool... She/we know NOTHING about inground pool maintenance! There was a pool man coming in weekly and today Mom discontinued his services, stating that her daughter (that's me) could handle the pool. Yikes! I know it's going to be a lot of work, but I'm up for the challenge. My kids are in that pool daily so I guess it's only fair that I maintain it right?

So, right now I have no questions. The pool man did his weekly routine this morning. He stated that the filters need to be replaced but failed to tell me which kind of filter I'd need. There are no chemicals for the pool on site. So I guess my first order of business is to open up that monster of filter and see what size cartridges I need. Then test the balance daily and go from there? I only work part time so I've got the time to take on this task. My husband is set to deploy soon, so I really want to learn this on my own.

I'll be back with specs. Like I said the Index pool, no problem, ya'll have such a wealth of info my pool has stayed shiny and pretty even in this intense so cal heat. But the other pool, seems cloudy, and is surrounded by tree's and what not and the filter is practically the same size as my car, maybe bigger! Should be fun.

~Nobia and Bobby

PoolDoc
07-08-2013, 06:36 PM
Before you open the filters, take pictures of the piping, valves, the pump and filter, and the pool. Be sure to get good pictures of all the labels on the pump and the filter. Look and see if there's any other equipment, like a Nature2, salt system, ionizer or whatever -- if you see it, take a picture of it whether you know what it is or not. Digital pics are cheap! We can toss any that aren't needed. Post those with Flickr, Google Drive, Webshots . . . . or email them to poolforum@gmail.com.

Meanwhile, order a K2006. You WILL need that with the inground pool. Link to Amazon in my signature block. Read the Best Guess page, linked in my signature, and report your CYA (stabilizer) level in the inground (IG) pool ASAP.

Also, measure the length & width of the pool, and the depth of the deep end. We'll need that to calculate volume and doses.

You can use PLAIN 8.25% household bleach at the rate of about 1/2 gallon per dose per 10,000 gallons, to add about 3 ppm of chlorine to your pool. Get a cheap local OTO/phenol red test kit (yellow/red drops) and use it. Maintain dark yellow chlorine levels. (If in doubt, chlorinate more!) If you see that chlorine drops very little from day to day, then your stabilizer levels are high -- in that case, chlorinate to very dark yellow, even with an orange-ish tint.

Good luck, and thanks to you and your husband for your service.

I have first cousins who were in the Marines, and I know the price their families paid. One retired two years ago after 30+ years, but he's still doing work he can't talk about, mostly overseas! However, his wife is happy that his 'deployments' are much shorter now, and the rides home much nicer!

bzbrown
07-09-2013, 02:47 PM
Sorry didn't see the response before the husband came home and helped me open the filter. What I found was 4 large filter cartridges, kind of like the type A/C ones I put in my little intex filter, but MUCH larger! They were filthy so we hosed them off and put them back in, and ran the filter for about 6 hours last night. Major difference in the pool quality this morning. The landlord told us she'd purchase all the supplies needed for self maintenance since my mom had relieved the pool man of his duties.

I'm curious though. To measure the width and length of the pool, it's not a straight shot. It's in the shape of this symbol >, with a spa on the corner and diving board in the deep end. So do I just measure the longest portion, like corner across to corner? The depth is not marked but I think I can ask the landlord when I see her again.

And thank you for your kind words regarding my husband's service. He has been an active duty Marine for 23 years with no plan to get out until they tell him he has to get out LOL. This is by far the hottest place we've lived, thank goodness for pools!