PDA

View Full Version : Use of muratic acid with indoor pool that uses bromine?

greg1234
07-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Can i use muratic acid to lower the PH of my indoor pool that uses bromine???

I have constant high readings of PH. My local pool store says it is because of my plaster or gunite pool walls. I use bromine because it is indoors. I would like to try muratic acid to lower the PH. Can I??

Where can I buy muratic acid. I bought some a Home Depot & suspect it is say 15% strength. The bottle does not say the strength.

Thanks in advance

PoolDoc
07-04-2013, 11:12 PM
The fact that you use bromine is not relevant to whether you use muriatic acid; the fact that it's an indoor pool makes avoiding the fumes harder.

Standard muriatic is 31% HCl, and fumes badly. 15% HCl would be much easier to handle indoors. BUT, you have to make sure that the ONLY thing added is water to dilute. If there's any kind of detergent or other additive (helpful when using acid to clean brick, etc), then you must NOT use that acid.

Otherwise, muriatic will work just fine to lower pH. However, read the muriatic acid page linked in my signature.

BTW, the idea that plaster or gunite walls cause high pH is true for possibly a year after construction. After that, not.