PDA

View Full Version : DIY electrical wiring for the pool

celery1977
07-01-2013, 02:12 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on electric for the pool. My plan is to have a GFCI outlet attached to one of the posts of my patio cover about 5-10 feet away from the pool. Does it have to be buried or can I just run pvc conduit up my patio cover into the house?

BigDave
07-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Review your local building codes. Better yet, hire a licensed electrician with pool experience. The fact that you're asking that question here tells me that you should find and hire a qualified professional. Pool electric is more complicated than house wiring and the price of failure is death. This is not a DIY, I'll learn it from YouTube project.

PoolDoc
07-01-2013, 07:49 PM
My plan is to have a GFCI outlet attached to one of the posts of my patio cover about 5-10 feet away from the pool.

I have a pretty simple rule here: if you need to ask *how* to wire something safely, you are NOT qualified to do it safely!

Electricity and pools are a super-dangerous mix; mistakes kill people. (Over the years, other people's wiring mistakes have nearly killed me 3x at customer pools; a mistake I made 25 years ago with a pool vacuum system, nearly killed a lifeguard at a 4th pool!)

So . . . I don't allow electrical how-to advice, for do-it-yourselfers. Sorry -- but I'm doing you a favor -- really!

And, I'm closing this thread.