PDA

View Full Version : New member w/ small Intex pool, looking at salt systems

Air_Cooled_Nut
06-30-2013, 08:15 PM
...lose my registration :)

Wife bought an AG INTEX pool, 10' x 30" for the kids. Aside from your standard blow-up pools for toddlers, this is our first "real pool". So once we get our location leveled the pool will go up, hopefully soon since northern Oregon isn't well know for long, hot summers :D So I guess you could say that when it comes to a real pool we're "getting our feet wet" LOL!

I know nothing about pool maintenance so am looking for guidance. I'm already sold on salt water systems, just gotta figure out if I can get away with it on our itty-bitty pond.

PoolDoc
06-30-2013, 08:31 PM
membership updated.

You might want to look at the recipe, here:
Super-simple-pool-chemistry-recipe-for-Intex-type-pools-start-up-amp-routine-care. (http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?17055)

I'm not sure that SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator system) won't actually make a pool that small much easier -- and just be clear, a SWCG is just another method of *delivering* chlorine to a pool.

Air_Cooled_Nut
06-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Thanks PD, that link looks very informative for a pool newb. I understand the physics behind the SWCG. Maybe we'll go that route once we graduate to a larger pool.

I've got a lot of reading/research to do now...sometimes a type A personality is a PITA :rolleyes:

Oh, where are the emoticons/smilies? :confused: Or are those granted after more posts?

PoolDoc
07-01-2013, 07:59 AM
:)
:(
:confused:
:eek:
:mad:
:p
;)
:sad:
:D
:tired:
:o
:rolleyes:
S-)
:crazy:
:innocent:
:puzzle:
:cool:
:oops:
:$:
:evil:
:mark:
:questions:
:arrow:

PoolDoc
07-01-2013, 08:02 AM
:) - :( - :confused: - :eek: :mad: - :p - ;) - :sad: - :D - :tired: - :o - :rolleyes: -S-) - :crazy: - :innocent: - :puzzle: - :cool: - :oops: - :$: - :evil: -:mark: - :questions: - :arrow:

Smilies are also accessible by 'clicking' on the advanced edit menu . . . but I can't remember if you can see that menu, at your privilege level.

Watermom
07-01-2013, 08:16 AM
It is a little known fact that Ben posed for some of those 'photos' to use on his forum. For instance, this picture S-) was taken after he drank too much pool water from a green pool. And, this one :evil: was taken of him when he posted some pictures of big ugly spiders on the forum for me to see!

Air_Cooled_Nut
07-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Update: The current Intex pool is going back as we decided that our family would outgrow it too quickly. We really wanted a rectangular pool but Intex's 9' width was ridiculously too narrow for the length we wanted. With purchase price and yard space lost as factors, plus that the northern Oregon season is short, we opted for the 16'x48" round pool, 4,600 gallons @ 90% capacity, 1,500g/h pump. So mods please update my signature accordingly (side note, being on MANY forums myself (and once being an admin on my own server) I'm finding this over-moderation a little annoying).

Oh, so, for my pool, I'll be ordering the Taylor K-2006C test kit, be on the prowl for a solar cover to gain the most heating possible (recommendations appreciated), and figure out what SWG to get (again, recommendations appreciated). I'm considering this our starter pool and after we out-grow/wear this one out (2 seasons sounds likely) we can decide on where to go next. I'm impressed with some of the AG pools pictured in this forum, they've come a long ways!

Watermom
07-07-2013, 04:38 PM
I think you can update your own signature. Click on settings (near where you log in) and then on the left is a place to edit your signature.

Good decision to order the good kit. It will make your pool maintenance easier.

I'll let someone else advise you about an SWCG choice.

Sorry that the moderation queue is a pain. Ben is very careful to protect the forum and its members. A way to avoid having to have your posts go through the queue before they appear on the forum is to become a subscriber. If that is something you are interested in, click the link in my signature below.

Air_Cooled_Nut
07-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks 'mum. I clicked on "My Profile" and got blocked so quickly gave up. My Settings did get me there -- my bad, I should've known since this is vBulletin.

Hopefully this week we'll get the yard leveled and prep'd for the pool, which is due in 14 days or so. I did the test with the 2 gallons of water and 1/4 cup bleach (6%) for 15 minutes and no cloudiness. So far so good.

Air_Cooled_Nut
07-20-2013, 11:48 PM
We've decided to nix the pool. Leveling the ground would put us past the $1k mark, additional pool supplies, plus the time commitment just isn't worth the short season up here in our opinion. Returned the pool for a trampoline and the kids love it just as much. When it comes to water we prefer the ocean far more. Just isn't a "gotta have" item...now, if we lived in the southern part of the USA then, yeah, a pool would be more desirable.

PoolDoc
07-21-2013, 06:53 AM
Makes sense.

I actually like the ocean much better myself --thought I don't think I want to swim near Portland.

If you look at a pool again, you might want to look at getting a plastic solar panel or two to go along with it. They are not super expensive, but are moderately effective if you have a good bit of sun. Not sure what Portland weather's like -- if it's like Seattle, forget I mentioned this. The sun has to actually shine quite a bit before such panels help.