PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass wall concrete bottom pool?

sprig71
06-29-2013, 08:15 PM
My neighbor has a pool that is 30 years old. It is a fiberglass wall/concrete bottom pool. He has had very little problems with this pool. I am now thinking of installing a pool and am impressed with how well his has held up. I have searched all over and find very little info on this type of pool. All I see is people spending 4k to replace liners a etc. or a 1 piece fiberglass tub. Is there anyone with info on this type of hybrid pool? do they still make them? Any advice of info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Watermom
06-30-2013, 07:42 PM
I have no idea about this type of pool. Maybe someone on here will know something, but honestly, I don't recall hearing of it before.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc
06-30-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure why, but I don't believe anyone builds that sort of pool any more. I've seen them, but they were the age you describe, or older. I have not seen any ads from any manufacturer offering the fiberglass panels used in the construction of such pools.

But . . . even if they were being built, somewhere, that doesn't mean you should try to get one. Construction skill matters, and you don't want to be some company's guinea pig, while they experiment with building such a pool. In other words, if no pool contractors in YOUR area build such pools, you should look for another solution.

sprig71
07-01-2013, 06:51 PM
The pool next door was a diy project. He explained the process and showed me some of the left over pieces of fiberglass etc. I have seen this thing inside and out. Swimcraft out of Ft Wayne Indiana is a major manufacture of this type of pool wall. They are mostly done on commercial pools. I spoke with them today. They have what I want, but wont sell direct to me because I am not a dealer or installer. I have my mind set that I will not install a liner pool. Guess I will keep looking.

Watermom
07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
An advantage of a liner pool is that you can change a liner without redoing the whole pool.

PoolDoc
07-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Swimcraft out of Ft Wayne Indiana is a major manufacture of this type of pool wall. They are mostly done on commercial pools.

All very interesting. I didn't know FG wall concrete pools were still being built. But, with your info, and Google I found both SwimCraft and another company:
http://www.swimcraftinc.com/
http://www.asamfg.com/fiberglass-pool-wall-systems.aspx

The Swimcraft site DOES show residential pools -- so you might try again, and see if any builder in your area is doing them. If you want to DIY, there might be a problem. I know I'd worry that if I purchased the walls and sold them to you, you might blame me and SwimCraft if something went wrong . . . and I'd probably figure the profit wasn't greater than the risk.

It looks like you may be able to hire it done, if you look around. Finding someone to help you DIY might be harder. However, you sound determined, so you may well make it work for you.

Good luck!

[June 2014 Update: Step by step fiberglass pool repair here: http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/17933]