PDA

View Full Version : told to post numbers and help will come!!

timmie
05-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi, I had my water tested again today and here are the numbers. I am not sure what to do next. I read that putting baking soda in the water will bring the ph up, but how much do I put in along with anything else?/ I was told I needed to add some hardness treatment. I do have a vinyl pool, 70,000 litres 17x33. I had lots of algae and was told to put in 80 litres of chlorine, but ..now I can see the bottom of the shallow end, deep end just the sides. THis is since Saturday. I have been reading alot of this site and find it so helpful.............can anyone tell me what I need to do next?? My heater doesnt work, and I was also wondering if I could put on my solar cover, or do I wait until my numbers are right?
Timmie

FC 26.0
TC 26.0
CC 0.0
PH 7.0
Hardness 150
alkalinity 150
Cynaric acid 30

Watermom
05-31-2006, 06:55 PM
WOW! With a cya reading of 30, a chlorine reading of 26 is way too high. Don't add any more chlorine until that drops below 12 ppm. Also, instead of using baking soda to raise ph, use 20 Mule Team Borax as it will not raise your alk with the ph. Your alk doesn't need to be any higher. You do not need to put in any hardness treatment with a vinyl liner. Run your pump 24/7 and leave the solar cover off. A chlorine reading that high would not be good for your cover. Hope this helps.

timmie
05-31-2006, 07:10 PM
yes, it will help lots!! I dont get borax in canada? What is in it? Or what can I use instead? I think you told me in another thread till I posted this here. I didnt realize where to post things. I am still learning here, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Timmie

Lauralai
05-31-2006, 07:45 PM
walmart should carry the borax. I live in the GTA area and they have it in the walmarts there, it's in the bleach area with the laundry soaps.

ivyleager
05-31-2006, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=Watermom] You do not need to put in any hardness treatment with a vinyl liner. QUOTE]

Yes, quite true. But there was mention of a heater, although not working. If heater gets fixed and inline, then doesn't the calcium hardness level matter? Don't mean to confuse.

CaryB
Go 'Canes in game 7!!

timmie
05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi, I heard that too about the heater. I do plan on getting a "Buy N Sell" and looking to see if I can get a good used one. Fo you know why I cant vacumn to waste? I think I am doing something wrong.................. I put water through my hose and hook it up, very good suction and then I go and turn to waste...........hose comes out, suction doesnt work............do I have to turn to waste and then put my hose in?? Do I put water in??

Area Man
05-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi, I heard that too about the heater. I do plan on getting a "Buy N Sell" and looking to see if I can get a good used one. Fo you know why I cant vacumn to waste? I think I am doing something wrong.................. I put water through my hose and hook it up, very good suction and then I go and turn to waste...........hose comes out, suction doesnt work............do I have to turn to waste and then put my hose in?? Do I put water in??

Timmie, you'd fill your vacuum hose with water, turn the pump off, switch to waste, turn the pump back on, then connect the hose to your skimmer. Are you connecting the hose to your skimmer with a vacuum plate?

Rick

timmie
05-31-2006, 09:55 PM
Timmie, you'd fill your vacuum hose with water, turn the pump off, switch to waste, turn the pump back on, then connect the hose to your skimmer. Are you connecting the hose to your skimmer with a vacuum plate?

Rick

Rick, what do you mean by a vacumn plate?? I just put the hose into a hole below where my skimmer basket is. I dont know if I should do the waste thing, as it loses so much water. I brushed my pool real good today and got alot of algae , again, floating around. I guess the filter will get rid of it for me. I need to bring my ph up abit in my pool. It is 7.0 right now, what do we use for that? I did use some ph up about 500 grams of it for my 70,000 litre pool, but I am guessing that is not enough .I am scared to put to much in as I dont want to raise it so high, as my TC is 26..came down abit..........

Area Man
05-31-2006, 10:55 PM
Rick, what do you mean by a vacumn plate?? I just put the hose into a hole below where my skimmer basket is.

A vacuum plate seals over your skimmer, gives you better suction, and lets skimmer catch the the big stuff. Here's a picture:
http://www.prestowebmaster.com/prestostore_graphics/3663_pd53322.jpg

And an explanation:
http://www.poolmanual.com/manual/maintequip.html#mvac

I've never vacuumed without one - that's just how I was taught.

I dont know if I should do the waste thing, as it loses so much water. I brushed my pool real good today and got alot of algae , again, floating around. I guess the filter will get rid of it for me.

I tend to agree with you, but have seen recommendations here to vacuum to waste when you have an algae problem. Maybe someone more experienced with algae can explain how that works?

I need to bring my ph up abit in my pool. It is 7.0 right now, what do we use for that? I did use some ph up about 500 grams of it for my 70,000 litre pool, but I am guessing that is not enough .I am scared to put to much in as I dont want to raise it so high, as my TC is 26..came down abit..........

You're right, you don't need to raise the pH much. I don't know the formula for how much "pH Up" to add, but there should be information on the label that tells you. If you need to later raise pH, you can use borax less expensively:
http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/grocery.html

timmie
06-01-2006, 07:25 AM
Hey everyone!!!!!! Thanks for such great help!! I will get a cap ? for my suction and get on the Borax. How much Borax do I need to bring my ph up?? I have a 70,000 litre pool.......in gallons? I am not sure..............

Area Man
06-01-2006, 01:52 PM
You might try 1/4 of a box of borax, wait a day, test, and repeat until your pH is where you want it.

timmie
06-02-2006, 08:03 PM
hi, thanks about the Borax. I added it tonight. My ph is between 7.2 and 7.5. I will get the water tested at the pool store to make sure I am on track.