PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry Balance - Just opened pool

handy1
06-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Late start to the season, so am hoping someone can double-check my instincts on these numbers:

concrete inground pool, 30k gallons (not SW)
CYA = 33
Total Chl = 0.4
Free Chl = 0 (yes, I know I need to shock shock shock)
pH = 7.4
Adj Total Alk = 82 (alkalinity needs to be increased)
Hardness = 125

So far the pool is clearing up slowly, but still is cloudy - not green however! Water temp is 78.

I think I need to just shock and add alkalinity. Am I missing anything? And any suggestions on amount to add/shock?

Thanks! Love this forum :-)

Watermom
06-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Hi, handy!

What kind of test kit are you using or did a pool store test for you?

Yes, you need to shock. Your alk is actually ok where it is. But, since you have a concrete pool, you should bump the calcium hardness up a little. Ideally, you want CH to be between 200-400. You might use some calhypo to shock with and it will add some calcium at the same time.

Hope this helps!

handy1
06-23-2013, 01:56 PM
This was the pool store test - luckily my pool store doesn't strong arm purchases, so I can get a test done and walk out. Thanks - I will do my shocking as you suggest and then use my own test kit to retest (I do have one, just figured I avail myself of the more precise (?) store test for the first time.)

Watermom
06-23-2013, 02:04 PM
What kind of kit do you have?

Actually, most of the time, when you test yourself, you get better numbers. Most pool store testing is not very accurate.