t-cell
06-23-2013, 10:56 AM
FC 6
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 130
CA 170
CYA 30

What do all you seasoned people think? This is my first pool.

Charlie_R
06-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Looks good!

I assume a gunite pool? Or is it vinyl liner?

If vinyl, CH is good, if gunite needs to come up a bit.

pH could come down to around 7.4.

CYA is OK if you are dosing manually, could come up to ~40-50. That would mean running the FC a tad bit higher maybe.

See what the experts say about that.

Watermom
06-23-2013, 01:29 PM
I think Charlie_R has given you good advice. You are ok with CYA at 30 but if you find that you have trouble keeping chlorine in the pool through a hot sunny day, you may want to bump it up some as he suggested. If not, then you are ok at 30.

Your pH is ok at 7.8 actually, (though it is ok to drop it some if you want to), but if it goes any higher, then you do need to lower it.

Charlie_R
06-23-2013, 01:35 PM
Watermom, t-cell,

The reason I suggested dropping the pH a bit is to give a bit of wiggle room from the changes that aeration will do. You know, letting the kids splash around, rain, and any other possible sources, like waterfall.

Watermom
06-23-2013, 01:39 PM
It certainly won't hurt to do so. But, even still, muriatic acid is nasty stuff. Personally, I'd leave the pH alone and not have to mess with the acid unless I had to. That is why I said he is ok at 7.8. Either way is fine.

By the way, thanks for helping, Charlie. We appreciate it!

t-cell
06-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. How much CYA would be recommended for my size pool, to bump it to 50ppm, using the solid form product.

Watermom
06-26-2013, 12:57 PM
1-1/2 lbs. will add about 10ppm. Try that first which will put you at 40. Don't test for it again for a week after you add it to make sure it is totally dissolved.

However ....... I see that you have a chlorinator Are you still using trichlor tabs? If so, they have CYA in them so you won't want to add any additional CYA. If you do use the tabs, you will need to monitor your CYA level so it doesn't get too high and also monitor your pH level. They are very acidic and will drive pH down. (Also, make sure your tabs don't have copper in them.)

t-cell
06-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks for your help. Not using the chlorinator yet, builder said not to for the first month. I will check my tabs, as I bought those for when I can use it.

Watermom
06-26-2013, 09:27 PM
If you are going to use the chlorinator at some point, you don't want to take your CYA too high now.